Complete ignoramus needs help

MizGriz

We found a benchmark in a totally unexpected place while looking for a trail in Acadia NP. We took a photo of it and wrote down its number - K2251954. At least I think that's its number. Anyway, we don't know what to do with it. How do we find it in the database? Did we write down the right number? Should we log it? See, we're completely clueless. Any help or tips enormously appreciated.

We found a benchmark in a totally unexpected place while looking for a trail in Acadia NP. We took a photo of it and wrote down its number - K2251954.

Did you happen to set a waypoint for it with your GPS receiver? If so, you can search the "Find a Benchmark" page on Geocaching.com and see whether it appears in the results. You'll also see a FAQ that explains why many benchmarks aren't listed on this site. If it was near a geocache, you can use the "Nearest benchmarks" link on that cache's page to look for it.

Good luck!

Patty

And you're not an ignoramus. You knew where to come to ask the question, and that's more than half the battle! An ignoramus is the guy who pries off the benchmark and takes it home as a "souvenir"!

Welcome to benchmark hunting. Here are a few places you may want to check out for info on our avocation here:

GC Benchmark info

Our Read Me First forum info

As you will see there, many, many benchmarks are not in the GC database, or any other we have access to.

You can create your own log for the benchmark at Waymarking for benchmarks.

Good hunting!

Edited by Klemmer & TeddyBearMama

I typed the benchmark number in wrong -- one too many "2"s -- the right number is K251954. (Are you SURE I'm not an ignoramus?) Anyway, assuming that this is the sort of number that defines a benchmark, where would one check to find the number "officially"?

Sorry I can't supply coordinates. I have been using Google Maps and a bluetooth GPS receiver from DeLorme, with my Verizon PocketPC phone. I just found out how to get Google to display the lat/lon information from the GPS receiver. I have a looooot, as Google would say, to learn.

Thank you all so much for your posts.

Warmest regards,

MizGriz

I typed the benchmark number in wrong -- one too many "2"s -- the right number is K251954. (Are you SURE I'm not an ignoramus?) Anyway, assuming that this is the sort of number that defines a benchmark, where would one check to find the number "officially"?

Was it really "K241954" all together like that? Could it have been, instead, K 25 on one part of the mark, and 1954 on another? If so, then you can search the aforementioned Gecoaching.com database for K 25 in the designation. I believe that Acadia NP is in Maine, so you'll probably want to restrict your results to Maine to avoid getting marks all over the country.

Patty

Edited by Wintertime

Sorry I can't supply coordinates. I have been using Google Maps and a bluetooth GPS receiver from DeLorme, with my Verizon PocketPC phone. I just found out how to get Google to display the lat/lon information from the GPS receiver. I have a looooot, as Google would say, to learn.

Thank you all so much for your posts.

Warmest regards,

MizGriz

Try Breaking it up. It's most likely a benchmark with a designation of "K 25". set in 1954. Typos are easy to make, but I recall there as series of USGS marks on Mount Desert Island. I Logged a few there in 2006. I logged a K23 (click here: K 23) But it was set in 1934, not 1954 Here's a picture of K 23:

a5a5cb63-ddee-4436-b8d1-a3b8f1306b67.jpg

and K 24 is on top of Cadillac Mountain. Unfortunately K 24 is not in the NGS database and it was also set in 1934, not 1954. In fact the whole series was set at the same time, so they would all say 1934.

Here's a picture of K24:

a3805258-21c0-434a-8a73-5b7d9495be5c.jpg

There wasn't a K 25 in the NGS database either, but that doesn't mean it wasn't there. First off - could that 1954 actually be 1934? Secondly, where in Arcadia National Park did you find it? As I recall, Zhanna (a member here) has the original USGS list of these marks and maybe K 25 is on that list.

EDIT - I'm thinking if one 3 looks like a 5, maybe two 3s look like two 5s. So perhaps you found K 23. It's a little off the road right after you get on the park road from Bar Harbor.

Here's what the area looks like from the road:

a68a8c5e-37b9-4baa-b2ac-3d2c7baaec80.jpg

And here's the rock ledge it was set on:

94567bcd-2715-44d0-aff2-3017b52e2cd2.jpg

Look familiar?

Edited by Papa-Bear-NYC

Yes, you guys nailed it! It's K25, 1954!! WHEE!! I found the bench mark by Bubble Pond in Acadia NP. It's stuck to a rock ledge about halfway between Bubble Pond and the road, on the other side of Bubble Creek from the parking lot, right next to a trail down to the creek. It's a bench mark with a triangle in the middle, it says 556 feet above sea level, and we believe it's at approximately N44 21' W 68 14.4' -- if you get that close, you can't miss it. It doesn't look like it's in the Groundspeak database. I have a really good photo of it, but no URL to put the photo on, so if anyone would like one, please let me know and I'll try to email it.

Many, many thanks to all who gave such good information!!

Warmest regards,

MizGriz

Yes, you guys nailed it! It's K25, 1954!! WHEE!! I found the bench mark by Bubble Pond in Acadia NP. It's stuck to a rock ledge about halfway between Bubble Pond and the road, on the other side of Bubble Creek from the parking lot, right next to a trail down to the creek. It's a bench mark with a triangle in the middle, it says 556 feet above sea level, and we believe it's at approximately N44 21' W 68 14.4' -- if you get that close, you can't miss it. It doesn't look like it's in the Groundspeak database. I have a really good photo of it, but no URL to put the photo on, so if anyone would like one, please let me know and I'll try to email it.

Many, many thanks to all who gave such good information!!

Warmest regards,

MizGriz

I found the original USGS data sheet which I got from Zhanna (I think). The mark was set in 1934 (so you found one 20 years older than you thought!) and it's 336 feet (20 feet lower - you win some, you lose some :D ). Boy. those 3s really must look like 5s. Here's a scan of the original sheet. K 25 is the first entry on the page entry and K24 is the last. The phrase "Seal Harbor Post Office, 4.8 mi N of, along Mountain Road" are the directions to get there. They always start at a well known place, in this case the Post Office in Seal Harbor.

Congratulations and may you log many more. (you can log this on the Waymarking site Here).

df02c66f-16ec-4cf5-b9b2-1fffe9106ef3.jpg