etrex legend help!

For the life of me I cannot get my etrex to connect to my computer. Im using a connector that links it to the USB port but it wont show up on the computer and I have no idea how to make it work or what software I need loaded. I would like to add maps but just points is enough of a pain. I have the update off the site and the "install garmin communicator plugin" thing... any and all help is greatly appreciated.!

For the life of me I cannot get my etrex to connect to my computer. Im using a connector that links it to the USB port but it wont show up on the computer and I have no idea how to make it work or what software I need loaded. I would like to add maps but just points is enough of a pain. I have the update off the site and the "install garmin communicator plugin" thing... any and all help is greatly appreciated.!

I assume that your gps is communicating with the computer. If you are running windows, the driver for that should install automatically the first time that you connect the gps and turn it on.

The communicator plugin is useful for downloading geocache waypoints directly from the page on which the cache is described.

To do more than that, you need additional software installed on your computer. If you are using an eTrex that came with a USB cable, I presume that it also came with MapSource.

If you are using a basic eTrex, then I'm assuming that you are using an adapter that allows use of the use of the serial port cable through a USB port. If that is the case, you might have issues related to the driver for the adapter, i.e. your computer might not be able to see your gps through that adapter. If your computer can see the gps, you still need a software for manipulating map data. EasyGPS is a piece of free software that works fine for managing waypoints. If you have the basic eTrex, you can't put map data into that unit. But, you might appreciate USAPhotomaps - it downloads quads and satellite imagry from the TerraServer website and you can move tracks and waypoints back and forth between that software and a gps. USAPhotomaps is shareware available from jdmcox.com.

Do any of these links help you? Though they all have "Mapsource" in the title all, except the last one, actually apply to any software that needs to recognize your GPSr via USB. And mostly that means having the correct drivers installed.

MapSource doesn't recognize my Garmin USB GPS unit.

Mapsource will not recognise the USB data card programmer, how do I fix this?

MapSource® doesn't recognize my Garmin® GPS unit and I'm using a 'USB to Serial Converter'.

How do I transfer a map from Mapsource to my GPS?

Edited by cliff_hanger

Be certain you installed the USB driver. The Legend isn't going to show up as a drive or anything like that.

It should work with various software like EasyGPS, Geocaching Swiss Army Knife, Trip and Waypoint Manager (from Garmin).

You need to use something like those to bulk transfer waypoints to your GPS.