TOPO! Explorer, National Geographic's new online store

I'm confused here. (nothing new)

I went to this site that is selling individual topos, instead of a whole suite. I picked one out in the Smoky Mountains, but I swear I can't tell if I'm just buying a paper map or a map that I can upload to my GPS.

Can someone explain what the site is marketing?

http://beta.topo.com/explore

Thanks, Beck

Edited by outdoors4me

I'm confused here. (nothing new)

I went to this site that is selling individual topos, instead of a whole suite. I picked one out in the Smoky Mountains, but I swear I can't tell if I'm just buying a paper map or a map that I can upload to my GPS.

Can someone explain what the site is marketing?

http://beta.topo.com/explore

Thanks, Beck

You can't load these maps to your GPS, unless you have a Magellan Triton. But you should be able to open them in National Geographic TOPO! (if you have a copy), and transfer waypoints between the map and your GPS. Good for planning trips, printing maps for use in the field (with waypoints, etc. showing) and keeping a record of your trips.

Hi, this is Eric Riback from NatGeoMaps. What we launched in beta yesterday is a web site that allows you to browse our database of USGS topographic maps (using the Google interface) plus aerial imagery and a unique hybrid of the two. Unlike other online services, the aerials are consistent across the country. In some areas, particularly cities, they will not be as detailed as some others, but in most backcountry areas they will be better. Importantly, they correspond to the coverage of the topos, so you can switch from topo to aerial to hybrid for the best visualization.

In just over a month, we'll launch the TOPO! Explorer application. This is an improved version of our TOPO! software that has been sold in state sets for a number of years (and will continue to be). But by using this version, you can choose to buy credits that will give you access to download the high resolution USGS quads plus aerials. Once you have them, you can customize, print, send waypoints to your GPS (and with Magellan Triton transfer the maps as well).

A major new feature is our National Recreation Database which we are currently populating on the web site. As I write, we already have more than 40,000 miles of trails. By the end of May that will have increased exponentially. These trails can be downloaded to add to your TOPO! maps, whether you have our state series or use credits to access your maps by download. And there's more than just trails; we'll have public land boundaries and many thousands of trailheads, campsites and more to add to your maps, along with photos and video. And that's just what we've gathered. We're already developing a robust user community. Using the application you'll be able to contribute your own favorite places and experiences. Right now you can see the trails and trips we've loaded by clicking on icons on the map and zooming in for more detail.

A great explanation of what's happening on the site now, and what to expect going forward. is on our blog at http://natgeomaps.blogspot.com/2008/04/top...-live-what.html.

Hey Eriback, you backed the wrong horse Topo should have partnered with the Colorado instead of the Triton. How long is that stupid exclusive with Magellan going to last? Can't your lawyers get you out of that because Magellan delivered a turd?

NG's "partnering"l with Magellan is NON EXCLUSIVE.

Talk to Garmin about the problem.......

Edited by Grasscatcher