survey conversion

kumatai

hello all,

i am trying to figure out how i can convert these coorinates to a lat/long coordinate so i can find a monument on my property. fun part is that it is burried in thick forest.

if you know how to convert this, please let me know .

thanks.

coordinates= N70 24' oo"E by N28 50'55"E need the intersecting lat/long as you would see on a property survey.

what i did find on my property that may interest some, was a DND (canadian military) benchmark.

i will locate it again with coordinates and and post them on here, along with identifier numbers from it

Timpat, thanks I thought they were bearings, but I haven't done surveying in like 6 years.

If he gave the coords. of a starting points and then all the bearings and distances it can be done. But then agin if he has a starting point he could walk it off by doing projections, I think.

Timpat, thanks I thought they were bearings, but I haven't done surveying in like 6 years.

If he gave the coords. of a starting points and then all the bearings and distances it can be done. But then agin if he has a starting point he could walk it off by doing projections, I think.

well it is a start, but i have not done "map and compass" work since cadets....300 years ago.

the problem is, the property is thirty acres. and full forest. so as you can imagine, taking a walk to locate it is rather difficult, the slightest deveation and you miss the mark.

bare in mind, the monument is an iron bar, most likely only a few inches above the ground..if it is still there.

i was hoping this would be an easy task to try and figure out, evidently not. perhaps i should up the cash for a surveyor to remark the property.

Kumatai, the best you could hope for is to possibly get close enough using your GPSr to make discovery of old property corners if they are monumented, with anything such as rebar, capped rods, old trees with barbed wire at corners, pile of stones, etc.

If you had at least one corner point, and preferably two, you could use the deed description to "traverse around" your parcel using the bearings and distances listed to establish the corner points. Often the bearings are based on magnetic north, and magnetic declination is constantly changing over time. If the survey and description were done long ago the bearings could change, possibly by degrees. You would need to consider this, too.