Bushnell Onix 400

gcpd957

Dont know anyone here that has one.

It will lead you to a cache just fine.

If your looking at it for the sat photos I'd also look at the delorme PN-20

If I were buying I'd get the cheaper ONIX350 as its apparently the same minus the XM receiver (subscription cost $12.95/Month which I wouldn't pay).

Edited by QuigleyJones

Has anyone used it? Or can someone provide some feedback on it? The reviews i have read are a bit shady to say the least.

I just bought/tried/returned one.

The good:

XM Radio, weather, and GPS all-in-one

Gorgeous screen

Sensitive receiver

The bad:

Downloading aerial and topo maps is like pulling teeth. You do it as a bajillion separate downloads of a few sq. miles each from the crappiest website ever made. No joking. No batch downloads, nada. It's HORRIBLE.

Accessories are difficult/impossible to find.

Runs on a battery pack, and unless you engage all the battery saving features (which pretty much renders it useless), you'll be dead in an hour or so. Recharging it? You better have AC power. See the accessories gripe above as well.

The weather is craptastic. Takes a long time to download, and it's jaggy/blotchy -- i.e. highly crappy resolution.

Track files are in a proprietary format that no converter I could find will handle.

No NMEA - no way to allow it to send data to any other app but their highly crappy app.

Overall: GREAT idea, HORRID execution in firmware, software, and web site. Hardware is nice, but they really need a AA battery solution.

Replaced it with a Garmin Colorado 400t and am happy.

Yeah, it was truly a disappointment as it looks really sexy on the box. I had trouble finding good info on it and decided to give it a shot, but for my uses (photo geolocation, interfacing to Street Atlas and other software, use on a ground team in the field), its shortcomings were too much. Given the state of their web site, I had zero hope that they would fix all of its problems with firmware updates. The real attractive items were the aerial map overlays (which would be good for geocaching, actually) and the weather, but my iPhone does an awesome job on both accounts; I will have to just hope for cell service/wifi.

The XM integration was so badly executed that you can't even sign up online and get the right weather package -- the XM site insists on activating the much pricier aviation package. You have to call XM, and even they need a few tries to get it right.

The lady at XM didn't seem surprised in the least when I canceled its service and didn't even ask me why... My guess is she knew.