do you use your handheld for driving

I'm wondering from people who have gps units with autorouting whether you think that it is worth it. I have a nuvi, but I dont think you can put waypoints on it and I end up using my blackberry with google maps a lot of the time to find things on the road. Like if you arent sure of an exact address but know on a map where you want to go. I'd like to get rid of the internet feature on my blackberry because I seem to only use it for map functions and it would be cheaper in the long run to just get a handheld for mapping. The venture hc that I just bought is more limited in the streets that are offered than I expected and it seems like it would be nice to have autorouting, but for the warriors that have turn by turn navigation capabilities, how valuable do you find it to be?

You can put caches on your Nuvi using Garmin's POI Loader. But, for that to be efficient, you need to become a Premium Member so you can get Pocket Queries and use a program like GSAK to Export .gpx files for "Custom POIs."

Used like that, the Nuvi can get you close to the caches . . . but you don't want to use it for caching outside of the car. It isn't rugged enough for that, and the battery doesn't last very long.

Go to the Garmin Site and check out the new Garmin 'H' units on their "Comparison Page." Look at the units that connect to your computer with USB. You don't need auto-routing maps on a handheld GPS unit, but you might want one you can put Topo maps on. The units with 'x' in the name mean they have "expandable" memory for adding lots of maps, and Custom POIs.

The least expensive of those full-featured units is the Legend HCx, but you don't need one with that many features since you have the Nuvi.

I'm wondering from people who have gps units with autorouting whether you think that it is worth it. <snip> it seems like it would be nice to have autorouting, but for the warriors that have turn by turn navigation capabilities, how valuable do you find it to be?

I have a 76CSx, and before that a 76CS. I've been using them for turn by turn navigation since 2004. I don’t leave home without it. There are trade-offs compared to a dedicated automotive unit, but I'm completely satisfied with the 76CSx. I do want to acknowledge that I’ve never used a dedicated automotive unit, so I don’t know what I’m missing.

I've used my handhelds to get through San Francisco, Los Angeles, Sacramento, San Diego, and many other cities where I didn't know my way around. Worked great!

I think the key to success in using handhelds for auto navigation is making smart choices of data fields (Dist to Next is essential); and in really complex areas, adding the next turn preview page to the page sequence and leaving it showing continuously while navigating is very helpful. That page not only shows your next maneuver, it also gives you a continuous readout of distance and time until that maneuver. This goes a long way toward offsetting the smaller screen size. The unit can be set to pop up the next turn preview shortly before the turn, and that’s how I usually use it. But if the going gets difficult, having the next turn preview continuously in view really helps.

You probably already know that you get only beeps, not voice prompts. The beeps aren’t very loud. That’s why displaying Dist to Next is so important. Glancing at it once in a while let’s you know how long you have until it’s time to do something, so you don’t depend on the beeps alone.

Some say that the handhelds don't recalculate for missed turns as quickly as the dedicated automotive units; but the 76CSx seems to recognize missed turns almost as soon as I pass the corner and recalculates quickly enough for me. It’s never been a problem for me. Of course, when I drive, I pay attention to driving. I don’t talk on the phone, work crossword puzzles, etc., so I don’t miss a lot of turns unless choose to disregard the unit’s instructions. :(

My heartfelt condolences. :)

Wonderfully thoughtful of you, but there's no need. I'm quite happy. :D

I am fortunate enough to have both. :)

There is no comparison; they are two markedly different devices.

I don't doubt that the dedicated automotive units are better for auto navigation. That's their reason for existing. But many people use handhelds for auto navigation and are satisfied with the results.

running nose to tail and door to door at 60mph

I don't consider that safe; so I don't do it.

I concur. However, it's a risk that I accept in preference to riding the bus.

There is another alternative; but since this is a forum for the discussion of GPS units and Software and not for discussion of defensive driving technique, I propose to let it go at that.

roybassist, has pretty well nailed it. It's a matter of setting the hand held up. Ironically the hh has more useful options in this regard. I either have the 'distance to next' datafield showing on the map page. Or I set the 'page' button to only display "Map" and the "Trip Computer", that way it toggles between the two. Then I set the TC to show 'big numbers' that gives me er.. big numbers, which are easier, (that's e-a-s-i-e-r) to see than my recently acquired Nüvi200. Then I get three big useful fields.

I've had my nüvi for a week and it renders the roads in a nicer way but for my purposes I prefer navigating with my HCx. The nuvi feels like if I dropped it, it would be toast so I wouldn't be happy navigating around on foot. Not only that but it probably would not work very well in the city because to see the screen, the chip is pointing in the wrong direction.

Operating the HCx on my motorbike with it around my neck where I glance at it occassionally suits me fine. And that's the same way I'd use it in a car. I can't imagine leaning forward to touch the screen in a particular spot in order to change the magnification level. I've heard people here say the 60CSx is better than the HCx for the car because of the buttons on the front, but IMHO, that is a nonsense. It's bad enough on a touch screen leaning forward and looking at the screen to touch the corner, looks pretty dangerous to me. Same with the 60CSx I mean, come off it no ones going to have it mounted on the dash and lean forward while eyeballing the miniscule and hard to press button the change the screen mag.

On the HCx however I grab it as it sits around my neck and glance at it, if I need to change the magnification then I don't need to look at it, my left thumb falls naturally on the mag buttons, same with the light, I just need to gently apply some sideways pressure to illuminate the screen.

So the moral of the story is to give a lot of thought to how you would really use it in practice rather than what looks pretty. The nuvi screen looks fantastic next to the HCx but after the novelty has worn off I prefer the HCx.

Edited by gallet

Nice, a topic I can relate to from recent experience :)

I had the nüvi 350, 360 and 660 and loved all of them... then I discovered Geocaching.

Tried once on what should have been an easy find and didn't have success - so I went and bought a Garmin 60CSx.

Ahh yes, the world of Geocaching became much easier and more fun because I no longer had to worry as much about dropping my nüvi in the snow/mud/water or scratching the big screen.

Life was good.

Until I started reading about paperless caching and saw screenshots of the Colorado 400t and read about its ability to display logs, hints, description, etc. Now this was a device I 'had' to have!

But how do I justify the purchase to myself?

Let's see, I'll sell the nüvi and 60CSx! Secondly, it will enhance my Geocaching experience by providing me with all the details I need, without another device or paper... (justification to myself isn't hard, just a process I have to go through it seems).

Decision was made, found a decent deal and made the purchase by hovering over the 'buy it now' button and doing a blind mouseclick... oops! Well, I clicked the button, now it's done.

The nüvi sold shortly afterwards and I was anxious to try out my new device. Got City Navigator ordered and waited.

And waited...

(Seems like an eternity when you really want something.)

Finally I had them both in my hand, and of course keeping up on the Colorado in the forum I installed the latest firmware beta right away, then the maps - which the entire US and Canada fit onto the device! Now this left me with an entirely unused 4GB SD card... what to do? A short time later Inland Lakes was installed.

Ok, back to the subject at hand... Since I was used to the nüvi I was happy to see a very familar display come up. Everything was there... the POI database, roads, detailed information, routing (something I didn't have on the nüvi), awesome! The only thing I was missing was text to speech which I disabled on the nüvi anyway, and the widescreen of the 660 was replaced by the much narrower Colorado screen. This has not proven to be an issue however since the area I'm usually most concerned about is ahead of me, not to the sides.

Am I happy with my decision?

Most definitely! I have ONE device that does everything I need and is AWESOME at Geocaching and navigation, I can't think of one thing I'm missing. To anyone who is looking to go a siilar route I can honestly say that I recommend it completely IF you don't want/need test to speech or speech period. To me that wasn't an issue because it was annoying and I have a difficult time hearing anyway.

Well, there you have it... my story in a nutshell. I still have the 60CSx as I can't get myself to sell it just yet, even though it just sits in my backpack waiting to be used.

To anyone saying that using a handheld for navigation is dangerous...

I won't deny that it can take your eyes off the road, but if done properly (setup before you drive) it's no different than checking your mirrors, a quick glance is all that is needed. I can't tell you how many people I've driven by with a paper map OVER their steering wheel, READING it while doing over 65 down the road... now that is dangerous.

Also, and my last comment on this... to anyone who says they don't do this because it's dangerous; do you eat, drink, smoke or talk on the phone while driving? Because all of those take more time and concentration than this does.

Remember, I did say when done properly... If you decide to plan a route, add waypoints, or read about your next Geocache while driving, that's a whole other ball game.

Be safe!

Edited by XopherN71

For proper routing between Ann Arbor Mich, and Detroit, the Map60CSx and my 60Cx do not use the KEEP LEFT and KEEP Rights, only Turns, with my City Nav 2008.

There is one route where I am going south on I-275 to Ypsilanti Twp, via Michigan Avenue to:

West Middle School

105 N Mansfield St

Ypsilanti, MI 48197

You can try this on Mapsource and a Map60Cx/CSx and see for yourself.

The problem is that going down Michigan Avenue from Southbound I-275 to the Middle school, there are several places that the road forks, and the stupid 60CSx will not show any of the KEEP LEFTS or any KEEP RIGHTS. The GPS totally drops the ball here. The Nuvis and Mapsource will show each point where I need to keep left or keep right at each fork in the road. In SE Michigan the 60CSx totally drops the ball, and I don't like it. It even has trouble when on some of the Freeways betwen Ann Arbor and Detroit, it will not display any of the Keep Lefts or the Keep rights, when the Freeways fork. I am thinking of at least a Nuvi 300 series.

I miss my GPS V's I had, they did the proper routing between Detroit and Ann Arbor, whenever the roads forked in different directions. As soon as I had the 60C back in 2004, and tried to route with it, I quickly missed my GPS V units, I had 2 of them.

Edited by GOT GPS?

As far as the Keep Lefts and Keep Rights being available on the Nuvi series and not on the handhelds - that might be fine if it is correct. But if you're heading through Atlanta north on I75 from the south side to Chattanooga, EVERY SINGLE keep right or keep left is azz-backwards. Good thing I wasn't listening to it and was watching the signs. :-D