Bluetooth GPS receiver and PDA caching

TJer99

Ok I am not new to Geocaching. I currently have a Garmin eTrex Legend (I think). Its several years old but it gets the job done. I also have a Palm T|X PDA that I use for paperless caching. I like them both but what I was wanting to do is get a bluetooth GPS reciever to use with my PDA and then the eTrex would be like a backup or for the kids to play with when we go out. I have several concerns and looking for anyone who can give me some advice or recent experience in these areas.

First is there a particular bluetooth receiver that is good for caching, is there little difference between different receivers or are the receivers plagued with poor reception when on foot and trapsing through the often rough and wooded terrian of caching?

Secondly I have noticed with the PDA that in bright light it is often near impossible to read. Does anyone have this issue and does it ditract from your ability to find the cache or use your GPS? Along those lines is there a way to improve it or does anybody have experience with different PDAs (monochrome or otherwise) that don't suffer the effects of washout and that do run Cachemate and are bluetooth capable?

Am I asking too much, maybe, but hey I want what I want and we'll see if its possible.

TJer99

What you are looking for just isn't the most suitable type of GPS solution for Geocaching. PDA/GPSs are just not very ruggedized for trail use and suffer from outdoor screen issues and short battery life.

You are better off spending your money on a good solid handheld unit. Keep the PDA in a well paqdded pocket for paperless caching reference.

May I suggest un upgrade to a Garmin eTrex Legend HCx model. Rugged, color screen, USB, routable mapping, long battery life and easy to hold and use. About $200.

Welcome to the Forums! :laughing:

I agree. A friend has the Palm T/X and it is very hard to read in bright sunlight, compared to either the much-less-expensive Palm m500 or m515. I keep my PDA, with Cachemate installed, in a hard case, in my pack, until I need to read the cache information.

My GPSr is a Vista HCx which is weatherpoof and rugged. It can withstand the rigors of Geocaching and has long battery life. The color screen is easy-to-read in bright sunlight. It holds 1000 waypoints and can have 1000's of additional Custom Points of Interest that hold even more information than the Waypoints.

Thanks to the 2 of you who have responded. I appreciate the assistance. Rest assured I have already broken my first PDA (had it in my back pocket when I decided to swing with my daughter). One cracked screen and a second T|X later I went with a custom hard case. I have put it through some rigors but obviously not through the entire caching process.

Let me ask the question from a different angle. I hate having to keep my PDA and GPS "synched" seperately. Either I don't have the process down to a science or I just plain hate having to download everything twice and cross check my nearest cache on the GPS to the data on the PDA and back and forth.

Is there a handheld GPS that will connect to my PDA so that all I do is download to the PDA and then when I want a cache I go from PDA to GPS? Does that even make sense? It does to me but whether it does to everyone else is a different story.

Is there a handheld GPS that also has bluetooth capability to use for navigation with my laptop or PDA while in my car or other times? Again thanks.

TJer99

PS. I have doubled my posts with this question.

Edited by TJer99

That's what I'm talkin' about. If there is a system out there like that sign me up!

I am using the same setup that you are considering: I use a QStarz Bluetooth receiver that I like alot, and use a Magellan Explorist 210 as my main GPS on the trail. I only go to the Palm/Cachemate when I need to confirm that "yes, the cache is really here somewhere" or if I need to peek at the hint.

I usually don't even bother syncing my Maggie, unless I'm planning a specific cache trip. Usually I do a nearest search in Cachemate, then do a "goto" on the GPS and manually enter the coordinates. I start out with them side by side just to make sure they are both heading in the same direction, then tuck the Palm safely away in my pack. I have an MP3 player holder that straps to my arm and holds the GPSr and has only lost signal in the densest of tree cover while tucked away.

The new Garmin Colorado GPS units work well for "paperless" caching, but I'm not sure every unit is ready for prime time. Some people have had good luck, others have had to send their Colorado/s back.

Check all the threads about the different models of the new Garmin Colorado.

I use a GlobalSat BT-359 and a Dell Axim X51v second year of caching and no mistakes (breakages). I like it because I use my PDA for other things (music etc) Now if Cachemate had a beacon noise that I could use a Bluetooth headset to hear when I am close that would be the ultimate in stealth.

Hi Tjer

I use a Palm Bluetooth enabled PDA with hollux 236 Bluetooth GPS ( about $50 on Ebay last year). The GPS is a SIRF III WAAS Enabled receiver, it takes some fiddling with to get the WAAS enabled and the Static Mode turned off (software was included). I could not justify spending $300-$600 on a high end GPS. I also use an old Garmin 12XL (lent to brother in law) and a Legend.

When I cache alone I will usually keep the Palm in my pack and refer to it for Descriptions, Hints, or past logs (I use GSAK and Cachemate).

The ruggedness factor of the palm does concern me but I have a fully waterproof underwater housing from Pelican. The Hollux unit is the size of a pack of gum and uses a Nokia Cell Phone battery - last about 48 hours and recharges through a USB connector.

Battery life is an issue, only about 6 hours when using Bluetooth and the Display (car charger recharges the unit in 30 min)

The plus side of the combo includes:

Palm holds as many caches as memory allows - I have 2600 active caches stored with full page descriptions from GSAK, these include 5 previous logs for each.

Same goes for additional waypoints.

I can Synch full TOPO and Street Maps from my Delorme software with custom icons - right now the entire states of NJ and PA are stored. - These are fully routable interactive maps that use the same GPS unit for location.

I can write logs in the Palm in the field, synch them with GSAK and send them to www.geocaching.com.

Cachemate allows for multiple databses so I have my unfound caches as well as unfounds for my daughter.

There is a ton of freeware for the palm that allows me to use the GPS as a Tide Tool, Sun, Moon Phase calculator, and even as a portable (although small) Star Chart.

The small GPS antenna in the Hollox is not as sensitive as the ones in some larger units but even using a 10 year old non WAAS Garmin unit I have never blamed a DNF on the GPS.

Good luck if you decide to go this way.

Total cost for the Palm/Bluetooth /Software option was way under $300 (including a premium membership to Groundspeak) and I use it for work and other hobbies as well.