Garmin Unit Comparisons

DennyP

Pardon me if there is already a topic posted on this. But when I tried to use the forum Search feature, I received a timeout message.

I currently have a Garmin 295 that I want to replace with a unit that will be used for Geocaching and also for typical driving uses. I've gone to the Garmin web site to do a product comparison. But I can't tell from the specs that are shown which units allow entering Lat/Long data by hand or which units will allow downloading loc files via EasyGPS. I'm not necessarily looking for the cheapest unit, but for one with robust features. I would like to stay in the Garmin family. I also can't tell which units need an external windshield mounted antenna to use while driving. The specs do say which units have rechargeable batteries, but I can't tell if the batteries can be swapped with fresh ones or recharged out of the unit.

I drive alone a lot so text to voice would be desirable to reduce distractions of having to look at the screen as much.

While I realize everyone has their favorite (probably the one they have) - I will appreciate any feedback or any sources of comparision of the data mentioned above.

Thanks.

That rules out most handhelds.

Exactly. The only one that I aware of the serves 80% city driving and 20% hiking purpose is the the Garmin quest (or quest 2, I prefer the former). But the Antenna is not as sensitive as the hiking one, using a external antenna (with some dangling cable while hiking) is fine though, not perfect. 20hour internal battery life.