1st time on Forum

I've done some caching on and off for about 4 years and now have time to get a bit more serious. One thing I'd like to do is be "The First To Find" a new cache. How does one go about finding such listings on the website?

With a premium account, you can set up email alerts when a new one pops up. I think.

I thought that might be how one does it. What about non-premium members?

I've done some caching on and off for about 4 years and now have time to get a bit more serious. One thing I'd like to do is be "The First To Find" a new cache. How does one go about finding such listings on the website?

With a premium account, you can set up email alerts when a new one pops up. I think.

I've never been in the FTF chase, but I guess just check the nearby listings as often as you canb stand it. Keep the list page up on the computer and refresh it every hour. I'm sure you'll get some more replies when there are more users online in the daytime.

Yes that's how it's done. I have a premium account, but I think you can still get notifications on caches NOT listed as Premium. It's going to narrow down drastically the numbers you will be eligible to get though. If you've done this off and on for four years, take the leap and get the Premium membership. You can start with the month by month and see what you think.

There's two types of notifications.

There are the weekly notifications that are available to everyone, but weekly is usually far too late for the FTF hounds. They deal in minutes. Back in the early days of Geocaching.com the weekly notifications were sufficient that you could get the notification and lazily stroll out to the cache on the way home from work or first thing the next Saturday and still be FTF.

The mini-competition of FTF has evolved into heated contests of honor. So Geocaching.com developed the instant notifications for premium members. Premium members can set up a system where when a 'publish' log is added to the system by a reviewer within a certain radius of a point and for a type of cache, it e-mails the member. If you want multiple types of caches, set up multiple notifications. Then you get the e-mail letting you know that the new caches are there. Pop over to the site and look them up and you're ready to go on that FTF hunt.

The other way of finding newly placed caches without premium memberships is to go to the geocaching.com/seek page and look up your state. The caches will be sorted by date placed with future events at the top followed by caches placed today. Unfortunately, it's not limited to distance, but just a region. So for me I'd get new caches in Illinois that are over 300 miles away just as much as ones down the street - and there's no way of telling from the search results.

There's two types of notifications.

There are the weekly notifications that are available to everyone, but weekly is usually far too late for the FTF hounds. They deal in minutes. Back in the early days of Geocaching.com the weekly notifications were sufficient that you could get the notification and lazily stroll out to the cache on the way home from work or first thing the next Saturday and still be FTF.

The mini-competition of FTF has evolved into heated contests of honor. So Geocaching.com developed the instant notifications for premium members. Premium members can set up a system where when a 'publish' log is added to the system by a reviewer within a certain radius of a point and for a type of cache, it e-mails the member. If you want multiple types of caches, set up multiple notifications. Then you get the e-mail letting you know that the new caches are there. Pop over to the site and look them up and you're ready to go on that FTF hunt.

The other way of finding newly placed caches without premium memberships is to go to the geocaching.com/seek page and look up your state. The caches will be sorted by date placed with future events at the top followed by caches placed today. Unfortunately, it's not limited to distance, but just a region. So for me I'd get new caches in Illinois that are over 300 miles away just as much as ones down the street - and there's no way of telling from the search results.

Thanks Markwell! I knew I'd seen the "New" listings before on searches for other states besides my own. I just checked it out and found over a dozen new listings that had NOT yet been found....here in NEVADA! I guess a lower population density has more pluses than I'd thought. I didn't find any I'll be able to snatch on my long road trip today, (yes...mort were for the other end of the state -too bad they can't be regionally delineated) but I'll be looking for one in the future. I also already get the weekly notification and will look at that more carefully when I don't check the State listings regularly.

Thanks again!

Also, if you go to this section of the forums http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showforum=50

You can click on your state, which will bring up a list of events and newly published caches.

thats problematic for California. as I said, there's about 400 caches within just a 12 mile radius of my house, and I'm in the smallest county of the state (not counting the City/County of San Francisco).