Orange / Sullivan Counties New York

AKelvis

I am looking for info about the Orange / Sullivan County areas of New York.

1. Anyone know where I can get a free topo/trail/road map that is downloadable of the areas?

2. How do I find out about who the local geocachers are?

3. I have heard about a Delorme cache chain - are there any in the new york area?

Thanks for anyone who can help answer my questions - and dont worry I have lots more in my brain, just figured I would start with these

Edited by AKelvis

I don't think he's in the forums much but look up 3bunts, he's responsible for the majority of hides in your area. Also, another major local cacher there is Ziggy Crew (I think he runs the New York version of the DeLorme challenge by the way). There's also ript2shrds (I may not have that spelled right), he actually lives in Kingston but visits his hometown of Hazleton, PA often and does all the caches in between which means your area, so he's pretty active around there.

I live about 50 miles southeast of you but have been researching caches up there to do eventually so that's how I know all this. Good luck!

Edited by HaLiJuSaPa

I can't help you with free maps, but suggest you look into NY/NJ Trail Conference maps for most of the state parks in the area. If you plan on hiking, they are money well spent.

You might be able to find names by searching for caches based on zip codes. Pick a town and run a search. I believe this is what HaLiJuSaPa was suggesting as well.

I am in Orange County . . .

No free maps that I am aware of :anibad:

As WaylessWood stated, New York / New Jersey Trail Conference has maps you can purchase. In Orange County, we have maps for Schunemunk Mountain (several excellent caches), Black Rock (lots of great caches), Storm King Mountain (four good caches), as well as quite a few local parks. If MTB is your thing, you may want to check out Stewart State Forest (Free Maps!, Even Better/Free Map!).

:anitongue:-->

QUOTE(brian b @ Apr 9 2008, 07:53 AM) 3415147[/snapback]
If MTB is your thing, you may want to check out Stewart State Forest (Free Maps!, Even Better/Free Map!).

cool. thanks for the all the MTB caches I can try this season and add to my Hybrid bike caches bookmark list.

I think I was in this park years ago. I was a cadet in the CAP and we got a helicopter ride by the National Guard out of Stewart and landed in the park for some emergency services training. Lots of fun for a 16year old.