New Garmin Vista Hcx

If I am hiding a cache, I set my Vista HCx down at the cache location and let it average while I write a note in the log book, then place and hide the container. Sometimes it averages for a minute, other times for longer than that. That is the only time I have used the Average feature.

The counter is letting you know how many readings it has taken. After each new reading it is adding it to the existing readings and re-averaging. Supposedly the more readings the more accurate the average will be. I normally let mine sit about 5 minutes. The results seem to be pretty close. The last cache I did this with I checked with the first finder and he said that the cache was within 10' of where his GPS zeroed out. This was in heavy tree cover so I think that is good enough.

Thanks This has helped a lot so the longer you let it avg the better coordinates you get. The book is a little vague on a lot things.I am new to this I started this hobby about two weeks ago with a old Garmin

gps II that was not good took 4minutes to get signal ha ha.

Thanks again

bashspa59

The book is a little vague on a lot things.

I'd suggest that you go to the Garmin website and look up the Vista C in the discontinued models and download the pdf file for the user's manual for that model. The functions on the two units are the same and the user's manuals for the older model has a lot more information.

Thanks again went to the Garmin site downloaded the discontinued Vista C guide wow! It is the book that should of come with the Vista Hcx 100 pages verses 48 pages. Much more detail on several of the the functions including the games and details about avg waypoints . :P

Thanks

bashspa59

Edited by bashspa59
The book is a little vague on a lot things.

I'd suggest that you go to the Garmin website and look up the Vista C in the discontinued models and download the pdf file for the user's manual for that model. The functions on the two units are the same and the user's manuals for the older model has a lot more information.

Great tip!