"Set Status Text" Question

USCcouple

Hi,

I have my cartridge setup to use countdown timers, and everything works fine in the PPC emulator. I have the actual countdown timer and a second interval timer that ticks every second. And when the interval timer ticks, it displays the "Set Status Text" to "[[Time Left = ]] .. TimeRemaining .. [[ Seconds]], where TimeRemaining equals ztimerTimer1.Remaining. All of this works fine on the emulator, however on the my Garmin Colorado I do not see any Status Text showing up, much less a spot for it really. Does the Garmin Colorado not have this capability? If not I guess my only option is to display tons of message which won't work since people can't see where they need to go, or update the title/description with the remaining time which I would rather not do.

Thanks,

Kevan

Hi,

I have my cartridge setup to use countdown timers, and everything works fine in the PPC emulator. I have the actual countdown timer and a second interval timer that ticks every second. And when the interval timer ticks, it displays the "Set Status Text" to "[[Time Left = ]] .. TimeRemaining .. [[ Seconds]], where TimeRemaining equals ztimerTimer1.Remaining. All of this works fine on the emulator, however on the my Garmin Colorado I do not see any Status Text showing up, much less a spot for it really. Does the Garmin Colorado not have this capability? If not I guess my only option is to display tons of message which won't work since people can't see where they need to go, or update the title/description with the remaining time which I would rather not do.

Thanks,

Kevan

The Status Text is not implemented on the Garmin device.

David.

Hi,

Thanks,

Kevan

David.

Do you know if it is a feature that will be added to the Garmin in the future? Or is it something that will never be available?

Thanks,

Kevan

Hi,

Thanks,

Kevan

David.

If Status Text isn't supported on the Garmin how are we supposed to create a cartridge that is guaranteed to work on any device?

If Status Text isn't supported on the Garmin how are we supposed to create a cartridge that is guaranteed to work on any device?

As with any system that uses devices with different capabilities, you have to design your cartridge to work on the least capable. If some of the devices, like the Colorado, have no status line display, you must design your cartridge so that it can be played without the information which appears on the status line. Or you have to limit your audience to people who have devices which support the status line.

Edited by twolpert