Can I put 12V into the Micro USB socket

Matrix

As USB is only 5V and can I connect a 12V car adaptor with a micro usb plug on to my new 60CSx ?

If you're talking about using a 12v Garmin cigarette adapter, then yes...you should be fine. The adapter has a built-in voltage reducer/regulator which supplies the correct 5v DC to the mini-USB plug. A third-party (non-Garmin) adapter should be verified that it outputs 5v DC before attempting to use it. You don't want a full 12v DC going into what is expecting 5v DC...bad things can happen.

As USB is only 5V and can I connect a 12V car adaptor with a micro usb plug on to my new 60CSx ?

If you're talking about using a 12v Garmin cigarette adapter, then yes...you should be fine. The adapter has a built-in voltage reducer/regulator which supplies the correct 5v DC to the mini-USB plug. A third-party (non-Garmin) adapter should be verified that it outputs 5v DC before attempting to use it. You don't want a full 12v DC going into what is expecting 5v DC...bad things can happen.

Thats why I asked I wasnt sure if the unit had a regulator built in the cable I have delivers 12v so I will get a regulated one just to be safe .

Cheers

Mike

Thats why I asked I wasnt sure if the unit had a regulator built in the cable I have delivers 12v so I will get a regulated one just to be safe .

Just looking at the Garmin website now (https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=145&pID=309 under the "Accessories" tab), I don't know if the 5v mini-USB cable will actually power the unit. There is a 12 volt DC (cigarette lighter) power cable that plugs into the 4-pin connector but I see nothing that utilizes the mini-USB connector for powering the unit. It may only be used for data transfer. I have an older 60CS along with the 12v to mini-USB adapter in question but cannot test this until Monday. You may want to wait to get further verification from others here that powering the unit via mini-USB will actually work.

Edit: Looking through the PDF manual for the 60Cx, I see the following:

"Power Source: Two 1.5V AA batteries, USB Data Cable, 12 Volt DC Adapter Cable, or up to 36 Volt DC External Power"

So going by this, I'm assuming what you want to do (power the unit through the mini-USB port with the 12v cigarette adapter) will work.

Edited by SergZak

[

Just looking at the Garmin website now (https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=145&pID=309 under the "Accessories" tab), I don't know if the 5v mini-USB cable will actually power the unit. There is a 12 volt DC (cigarette lighter) power cable that plugs into the 4-pin connector but I see nothing that utilizes the mini-USB connector for powering the unit. It may only be used for data transfer. I have an older 60CS along with the 12v to mini-USB adapter in question but cannot test this until Monday. You may want to wait to get further verification from others here that powering the unit via mini-USB will actually work.

It powers it if you connect the cable to a PC even without batteries so that side is OK.

Yikes! 12v through a mini-USB should be a huge "no-no" for electronics manufacturers. That's why it's always better to check it - because some engineer goes against the spec for some expedient reason, and the consumer winds up frying their device.

Yikes! 12v through a mini-USB should be a huge "no-no" for electronics manufacturers. That's why it's always better to check it - because some engineer goes against the spec for some expedient reason, and the consumer winds up frying their device.

I stand corrected the lead I have has a regulator , I commited a cardinal sin and assumed that as the phone the lead was originally intended for had a 240v to 12v mains charger it was a 12v lead and infact its is 5v so problem solved .