Builder Error Message

USCcouple

So as I have been working with this program I have noticed that I would get the attached error message every so often. I lost some work the first few times, since it would not let me open the file.

I stated creating backups of my files after every save, and also would close the file periodically and reopen it to make sure that this error was not occurring.

Anyway I became complacent and did the saves and backups, but did not close the file and reopen it, so now I have a lot of work that was done, that I can not access.

I have not done anything special or odd, I was just adding zones, items, and code within the builder. I had not messed with the .lua file.

I can however open the .lua file in notepad and see all of my work.

I tried to compare the last .lua file that would open to the first .lua file that would not open to see the changes that I made that could have caused the problem, but I had not made any major changes that I know of.

Does anyone know what causes this error? And is there a way to fix this without losing my work?

Thanks,

Kevan

post-1044873-1207155684.jpg

Update:

So after searching the forums some more I found that using quotations in a name could cause a similar result. I did have this in one of the Task names. Once I took it out some of the saved files worked, but others past a point would not work.

After messing around with various versions of the same file I found that the if I copied all of the text from the last .lua file that would open in the builder to the first .lua file that would not open in the builder, the problem file would still not open, even though the text was identical. I didn't understand how this could be unless there was some form of metadata in a .lua file that is no seen in notepad.

Continuing with this thought process, I decided to take my most recent version that had all of my work in it, and copy all of the text in notepad to one of the older versions that would still open in the Builder, and it worked!

So my question is how can this be? Is there some other data stored in a .lua file that somehow got messed up?

Also in doing what I did will it cause any problems later? Can you copy just the text from one .lua file to another and not lose anything?

Thanks,

Kevan

I think I had this happen when I renamed one of the Items after it had already been used somewhere else

I've just tried to replicate the error but without success.

If you have renamed anything anywhere, open your faulty .lua file in a text editor and check that an old item name isn't being referenced somewhere

I think I had this happen when I renamed one of the Items after it had already been used somewhere else

I've just tried to replicate the error but without success.

If you have renamed anything anywhere, open your faulty .lua file in a text editor and check that an old item name isn't being referenced somewhere

Hi,

No, I don't think I had made any changes like renaming, just adding. Infact I took the two files, the last one that worked, and the first one that didn't and put them into work and used them compare feature to try and see what was wrong. All I had done was addsome stuff to the code. So I tried to just remove the additinos, but it still didn't work. So then I tried just copying everything from the good file into the bad file and it still didn't work.

In the end what worked, was moving the contents of the file that would not open into a .lua file that would open, with no actual changes to the code. I'm not sure it this is bad practice or not though...

-Kevan

I have received same error message and now cant open my cartridge.

Can anybody help me? This is my first cartridge. Extremely frustrated. don't know if is my doing or the Builder.

Sorry,

Here is attachment.

Remove the following from your lua code:

function ztimer:OnStart()
-- #GroupDescription=Script --
-- #Comment=Script Comment --
countdownfrom20 = countdownfrom20 - 1
end

It's erroring here because you used to have a timer called ztimer (I think you did) and this does not exist any more, resulting in the error.

I have also attached the "fixed" file (a copy with the timer function removed).

Have fun!

Random_Baseball__PlayableTest.zip

Thank you!

That has me back on track (had a couple of other things I had to fix).

Back at it again.

Thanks Again!!!!

I'm also having problems when loading a cartridge. Even your fixed "Random Baseball PlayableTest" can't be loaded. The following errors appairs:

Error Reading Cartridge. ... see attached screenprint.

I've tested the latest Wherigobuild version and having the same problem on Vista and XP.

Please help,

Jerby

post-692033-1207344229.jpg

Huh. It's like it's trying to load the images from the cartridge. I know that since the images didn't come with the cartridge you can't compile and play it, but you should be able to load it.

I'll have to look into this more some time Saturday night when I get back from the caching run. If you have any more examples of cartridges you have trouble loading, please attach them. Just like triangulating a position, a few more lua files will help since I don't have the source code and will have to do a lot of guesswork.

Here's a silly question: you are unzipping the file and not renaming the file extension, right? I noticed someone in another thread changed the file extension when uploading to the thread while in this one the file was compressed.

And going back to speaking of guesswork, here's how I solved Random Find's problem. You can apply the same approach to yours and fix it, probably before I would have a chance to get back to you. I opened the lua file in notepad and stripped out all the code in the "builder generated functions" section (use "cut"). I then saved and loaded the file into the builder. If that loaded successfully, I would go back to the cartridge, paste the functions, and cut all but the first one. Saved and loaded the cartridge. I went back, pasted, and cut, this time leaving three or four functions (instead of just two, which speeds the process if I'm lucky). I kept doing this until I found just one function that, when left in, caused the problem.

Since I don't have a problem opening the fixed file, perhaps you might want to try this approach before posting something. I might not be able to do a thing for you if I can't reproduce your problem on my computer.

Ranger Fox,

Thx for your quick reply.

I've created a very simple test.lua and even this file results in the same crash when I try to load it.

I don't have any lua file that will load succesfully !

Thxs for your help,

Jerby

Test.zip

Edited by Jerby

Ranger Fox,

I've created a very simple test.lua and even this file results in the same crash when I try to load it.

Thxs for your help,

Jerby

hi,

fully uninstall the builder and reinstall from the website.

David

Ranger Fox,

Thxs for your help,

Jerby

hi,

fully uninstall the builder and reinstall from the website.

David

David,

This also results in still the same error. I even deinstalled .net framework and installed it again.

If I try save an cartridge I somtimes also get error 0x8007000B.

Jerby

Edited by Jerby

I'm having the same error as the first post and I am very frustrated.

I have spent about 2 days on this now and I feel like chucking the whole thing away.

Does anyone have any ideas? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

All I have been doing is adding zones and characters and 1 item.

I've added the attachment below.

Marvelous_Melbourne.zip

Edited by embi

I'm having the same error as the first post and I am very frustrated.

I have spent about 2 days on this now and I feel like chucking the whole thing away.

Does anyone have any ideas? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

All I have been doing is adding zones and characters and 1 item.

I've added the attachment below.

Hi,

So I took a look at your file and I found quotations in the "zmediaRedmondBarry.Description" They can not be in the names and descriptions (I think). Either way when they are removed the cart should work, but it doesn't, there is one more step you must take. Once the two sets of quotations are removed from that one description, copy everything in the .lua file to a new .lua file that you create in the builder. After that everything should work. I am not sure why you need the new lua file for it to work, but it does make it work.

Kevan

Fixed.zip

Hi,

So I took a look at your file and I found quotations in the "zmediaRedmondBarry.Description" They can not be in the names and descriptions (I think). Either way when they are removed the cart should work, but it doesn't, there is one more step you must take. Once the two sets of quotations are removed from that one description, copy everything in the .lua file to a new .lua file that you create in the builder. After that everything should work. I am not sure why you need the new lua file for it to work, but it does make it work.

Kevan

You are truly a legend. Thanks for the fix... I would have had no idea. I'll keep an eye out for wrong quotations etc.

I too am having some problems - I have checked for quotes, (and there are plenty); but none outside dialog. I have been working on this a few days and its really not a nice feeling when an ugly error like this pops up... uhg!

You had a task called "ztaskAWALKWAYQUESTION". You deleted this task, but the OnSetActive function was still in the code section. It was around line 486 in the code. I'm attaching the corrected code to this post.

To find it, I opened the code and cut various blocks of text from the builder functions, saved the file, and tried to open it in the builder. Once it opened, I would play with the cut blocks of text until I had only one function that, when included, caused the lua DoFile to error. By process of elimination, I can find the offending line faster than I can by studying the cartridge code itself.

Tifferigo.zip