loading topo map on gps

so I just got into this stuff I have most of the basics covered still need to learn about paperless tracking cause writing it all down is a pain lol. But my question is I recently accuired garmins canadian topo map and I heard you can load the map to overlay the excisting map or something like that. I have a garmin nuvi 250w. I consider myself to be fairly smart in teckie stuff but i can't seem to figure this out. Help is much appreciated

I don't know that this is possible with the Nuvi, or that you'd want to. The topo maps I've got for my Garmin Legend HCx do not work with the routing features of the GPSr.

Since your Nuvi is primarily an automotive unit, you'd not have any of that functionality with the topos loaded.

The difference in many of the details between the street maps and the topo maps would likely make them incompatible.

Of course, until someone who has more experience with the Nuvi chimes in, this should all be viewed completely as speculation.

Welcome to the Forums! :laughing:

Hmmmm . . . well, although the Nuvi is a great GPS unit for the car, I'm not sure you really want to use it for Geocaching. It is not very durable, is not weatherproof, and the battery doesn't last very long, compared to the batteries on a handheld GPSr. I know how to load maps onto a handheld GPSr, and how to display either the City Navigator or Topo maps, but I'm not sure about loading them onto a Nuvi . . .

The Garmin Topo maps can be loaded to the nuvi. There are some limitations but they will work.

Run the install program on the disk to install the maps and the MapSource program to your computer. Then go in MapSource and select the areas that you want to load to your GPS unit. Be aware that you can't load more than 2025 map segments at a time. Then use the "Send to Device" button to send them to the unit. You probably will need to send them to an SD card since there's likely not enough space on the unit itself.

Once the maps are on the unit, you will need to turn off your preloaded City Navigator maps in order to see the Topo maps.

Unlike the US Topos, the Canada topos will route on the GPS unit.

Be advised, as John as indicated, that you will want to take care with the nuvi as it is not designed for use in outdoor or rugged environments.

The Garmin Topo maps can be loaded to the nuvi. There are some limitations but they will work.

Run the install program on the disk to install the maps and the MapSource program to your computer. Then go in MapSource and select the areas that you want to load to your GPS unit. Be aware that you can't load more than 2025 map segments at a time. Then use the "Send to Device" button to send them to the unit. You probably will need to send them to an SD card since there's likely not enough space on the unit itself.

Once the maps are on the unit, you will need to turn off your preloaded City Navigator maps in order to see the Topo maps.

Be advised, as John as indicated, that you will want to take care with the nuvi as it is not designed for use in outdoor or rugged environments.

Thanks for the fast responses I actually found the function just before i read this.. It didn;t load to my sd card when it was in my gps but i have a card reader so i am trying to do it that way. I won this unit through work in the future I will probably buy a handheld unit but for now I am just going to be careful and I am planing to put my gps in a ziplock back when im out in bad weather.. I will still be able to read the screen and I will still be able to function it i think. I will let you know how it goes... I figure that with the topos loaded it might be not so great for navigation but i think i should be able to just pop the card in when i start trecking off on foot at a given area. Thanks again for the fast responses and i will let you know how it goes momentarily

Thanks for the fast responses I actually found the function just before i read this.. It didn;t load to my sd card when it was in my gps but i have a card reader so i am trying to do it that way. I won this unit through work in the future I will probably buy a handheld unit but for now I am just going to be careful and I am planing to put my gps in a ziplock back when im out in bad weather.. I will still be able to read the screen and I will still be able to function it i think. I will let you know how it goes... I figure that with the topos loaded it might be not so great for navigation but i think i should be able to just pop the card in when i start trecking off on foot at a given area. Thanks again for the fast responses and i will let you know how it goes momentarily

oh sweetness it looks like it will work great.. when i have both maps loaded the normal pre installed city navigator takes over but if i disable it then i see the full topo.... awesome this rocks... now i want to get every type of map capible.. lol sometimes I take things a bit to far lol but all in all... this means City nav = getting me to the nearest parking area switch to topo= take me to the goods.

I can see this coming in handy if the cache is by a river or creak and your not quite sure what side its on.. now I can know.!!!! thanks so much guys!

Now you need to become a Premium Member so you can get Pocket Queries and load that Nuvi up with hundreds of Geocache waypoints, as POIs. :laughing:

already in the works my friend lol,,, i just need to learn how that works... Although one think i would love to learn... when i install a geocache or poi it always goes to my favorites I wish i could customise the location i find things under.. and maybe even make different catigories in my unit Any Advice there?

Check out this thread. It might give you some idea.

I send POIs to my Vista HCx with icons for the different types of caches, whether they are Unfound yet, Found, Archived, or Benchmarks.

I'm not familiar with how the Nuvi works, but I change the name of the POI file when the Vista HCx is available as a drive on my computer. Then that files shows up as a different "Database."

Humm Im trying to do it with a set of poi's called attractions.. even when i name the file attractions is still shows up as poi. It did work when i had a duplicate file then i had one poi and one attractions.. So I assume if i keep one saying poi then i can name any there after maybe. This might sound silly but when i have loaded the few cache locations into my gps i just use the quick feature that allows me to upload it directly.. then they always go to my favorites... I assume if i want them to go in the proper folder i need to download them to my computer first then upload with poi loader thing. Am I correct in my logic here?

Also I just wanted to say you guys are so awesome. Never found a more helpful bunch with any other message board with any other interest of mine ever... thanks bunches