To those who've "Euro-WAAS" updated Exporst 400's

I'm seriously thinking about Euro-firmwaring my NA Explorist 400 in an attempt to get WAAS.

The reason I'm posting this thread directly to 400 owners because most of the Magellan/WAAS

threads involve other Magellan models and I don't want to mess up. Also, I'm not real geeky.

Finally figured out(from here) how to "secret Menu" and see what WAAS sats the unit is seeing. It's

not seeing the new ones. It's current sats are in the 120's, not the new ones in the 130's.

Found out (from here) how to save the NA basemap. It's called BASEMAP.MGI and it's 8,365 KB in size.

Does that sound right?

One thread here gave a link to an Aussie site that had firmware. I clicked and save the one highlighted

for the Explorist 400. It's called " Explorist_400_2_53 " and it's 1.41 MB in size. Does that sound correct?

Any help would be appreciated. Especially from successfully Euro'd 400 owners. Thanks. -Woodstramp

I'm seriously thinking about Euro-firmwaring my NA Explorist 400 in an attempt to get WAAS.

The reason I'm posting this thread directly to 400 owners because most of the Magellan/WAAS

threads involve other Magellan models and I don't want to mess up. Also, I'm not real geeky.

I think Explorist 400-600 use the same firmware(?)

Finally figured out(from here) how to "secret Menu" and see what WAAS sats the unit is seeing. It's

not seeing the new ones. It's current sats are in the 120's, not the new ones in the 130's.

I own an US version of 400 and have similar problems here in Europe with fw 2.16. I only get WAAS (or EGNOS here in EU) from one sat.

Found out (from here) how to save the NA basemap. It's called BASEMAP.MGI and it's 8,365 KB in size.

Does that sound right?

Sounds right.

One thread here gave a link to an Aussie site that had firmware. I clicked and save the one highlighted

for the Explorist 400. It's called " Explorist_400_2_53 " and it's 1.41 MB in size. Does that sound correct?

The most recent version of EU firmware is Explorist_400_2_57. You can get it from Magellan website by registering your unit as Explorist 400 Europe -version. Doesn't seem to be too picky about the serial as long as it has correct lenght...

Any help would be appreciated. Especially from successfully Euro'd 400 owners. Thanks. -Woodstramp

Here is a small checklist I found from other forum:

Bottom line, it would appear that you can run the update to 2.57 IF you meet the following requirements:

1) You're running firmware 5.2.03 - not 5.2.17

2) You have a green printed circuit board beneath the battery.

3) Your serial number starts with a 118, or 0118. It *cannot* start with 133 or 0133, or you're screwed.

4) You must be using Windows XP or 2000 - NOT Vista

I have fw 2.16 and serial starts with 0134. Couldn't do the update. Update loads ok to the unit but nothing changes (except the basemap).

I think Explorist 400-600 use the same firmware(?)

This is something I'd like to know, too.

I own an US version of 400 and have similar problems here in Europe with fw 2.16. I only get WAAS (or EGNOS here in EU) from one sat.

I think the firmware version mine has now is 4.2.02. At least thats what the "about" screen says. I don't know what FW version it had on it at purchase because when I got it I registered the GPS (NA) at Magellan's webpage and downloaded their latest FW for that unit. That was before I knew anything about the WAAS problem. It also lists my background map as version 1.12 on the about screen.

The most recent version of EU firmware is Explorist_400_2_57. You can get it from Magellan website by registering your unit as Explorist 400 Europe -version. Doesn't seem to be too picky about the serial as long as it has correct lenght...

Like I mentioned above, I already registered my unit as NA.

[

What are the first 3 digits of the serial number of your 400? It may determine whether your unit would accept the EU firmware.

First three digits are 119.

What are the good digits?

There is a very good chance that it will take the EU firmware.

Hello, i have two 400, the serials are (118 and 119), and both take the upgrade to 2.57, after that i restore the original basemaps, if you dont have the upgrade send me and e-mail or pm.

Paul

quote name='Woodstramp' date='Apr 2 2008, 01:23 AM' post='3401595']

Thanks. I'm still wondering if I should just be happy with what I have.

Maybe some more 400 owners who've done this successfully will chime in. I hope.

I am a 500 owner and successfully updated to the EU firmware. I think the problem that some people are having with the explorists are that there was a NA firmware update that was released AFTER the EU update. The units will not then load the EU update as the creation date for that update is actually before the NA update. I don't know if there is a way to "back track" the update in order to load the EU one. Just my 2 cents.

I am a 500 owner and successfully updated to the EU firmware. I think the problem that some people are having with the explorists are that there was a NA firmware update that was released AFTER the EU update. The units will not then load the EU update as the creation date for that update is actually before the NA update. I don't know if there is a way to "back track" the update in order to load the EU one. Just my 2 cents.

That makes sense. Mine might not take it then because I "upgraded" my unit's FW right after purchase thinking that was the right thing to do. With most products that would be the right thing to do. ;)

You've about made my mind up not to do this at this current time. I'll save it as an option if my 400 locks up or goes crazy. Thanks.

Now, if anyone has any idea on how to take the firmware back to an earlier time, this might solve your problem on updating the EU version.

I have a delorme PN-20 that I recently purchased and there is a way that you can take the firmware back to an earlier version so, I would guess, in theory it would be possible.

Hello, i have two 400, the serials are (118 and 119), and both take the upgrade to 2.57, after that i restore the original basemaps, if you dont have the upgrade send me and e-mail or pm.

Paul

quote name='Woodstramp' date='Apr 2 2008, 01:23 AM' post='3401595']

Thanks. I'm still wondering if I should just be happy with what I have.

Maybe some more 400 owners who've done this successfully will chime in. I hope.

Pestepan,

I sent you an email.

Just to boost your confidence a little, I bought a 400 last week and just got it on Monday, and installing the EU Firmware was no problem (despite the fact that I had left the house forgetting that I hadn't restored my backup NA basemap). My 400 is fully WAAS capable now and there are no issues to speak of. For reference my serial number starts with 119.

Just to boost your confidence a little, I bought a 400 last week and just got it on Monday, and installing the EU Firmware was no problem (despite the fact that I had left the house forgetting that I hadn't restored my backup NA basemap). My 400 is fully WAAS capable now and there are no issues to speak of. For reference my serial number starts with 119.

Thanks for the info, but mine doesn't have the original factory FW that came with it. I upgraded it at Magellan's site right after purchase when I registered it. Mine may take the Euro FW, but I'm afraid this might lock it up seeing how I unknowingly (at the time) messed up by upgrading with the latest NA firmware. I am trying to get the right EU FW on the stored the PC just in case my unit goes crazy one day.

I've upgraded mine to 2.57, downgraded back to 2.02, and updated back to 2.57 again on my Explorist 400 with no problems each time. To get the 2.57 software, just register your Explorist on Magellan's website again as a European one. You can use the same serial number over again. When you log into your account, it will show you have a NA one and a Euro one, both with the same serial number, and will tell you there are updates available for each one (4.2.02 for NA, 4.2.57 for Euro).

When you update to 2.57, it will set up defaults to the metric system, and replace the NA basemap with the Euro one. When you go to reinstall your NA basemap, you need to delete the Euro one off of 400 first, or you'll get an insufficient memory error.

I've done mine several times, just print out and follow the directions that show up on the download web page. When you do the update, watch the Explorist 400 screen closely, f you blink, you'll miss the final shut down and restart it does. Don't worry, If you're computer monitor comes up with a box that says update complete, you're good to go.

I've upgraded mine to 2.57, downgraded back to 2.02, and updated back to 2.57 again on my Explorist 400 with no problems each time. To get the 2.57 software, just register your Explorist on Magellan's website again as a European one. You can use the same serial number over again. When you log into your account, it will show you have a NA one and a Euro one, both with the same serial number, and will tell you there are updates available for each one (4.2.02 for NA, 4.2.57 for Euro).

When you update to 2.57, it will set up defaults to the metric system, and replace the NA basemap with the Euro one. When you go to reinstall your NA basemap, you need to delete the Euro one off of 400 first, or you'll get an insufficient memory error.

I've done mine several times, just print out and follow the directions that show up on the download web page. When you do the update, watch the Explorist 400 screen closely, f you blink, you'll miss the final shut down and restart it does. Don't worry, If you're computer monitor comes up with a box that says update complete, you're good to go.

Thanks. I'm going to print this thread to save for a reference.

Well...curiousity got the better of me. Couldn't wait.....gave the Euro FW a try and I got WAAS, and old basemap and extra screens and everthing looks OK so far. Hope it stays that way.

To all who assisted on this thread and others threads on this subject......THANKS!!

-Woodstramp