very new to Geocaching

Gettinglost_101

OK HELLLLLLP! now that i got this out of the way, I have a Magellen 4040 and us it for trips. ect.. but thats it.

what i nned to know is if i go off read what do i do or is it i have to switch programes that take me there, or would it be easyer to just get a hand held for that part? if so what kind. This seems to be a lot of fun and my son (7yrs old) would luv to do it with me. I'm in TN. and a very small town and seen tons of stuff in my area. thanks ahead for the help.

Same situation as myself, only I had a Garmin nüvi. Personally I went the route of 2 devices for the following reasons; MOST auto devices are not rugged, waterproof or made for off road use.

What I chose was the Garmin GPSmap 60CSx and I love it... however I already have a Colorado 400t on order for paperless caching (personal preference only).

You can definitely find less expensive handheld units and be perfectly well suited for geocaching however... such as the Garmin eTrex H. Whatever you get, make sure it has a high sensitivity receiver at a minimum, any other goodies are optional but can sometimes make your experience more pleasant.

From one newbie to another, welcome!

As the previous member mentioned, the automotive GPSr are not well geared for Geocaching. If you get a handheld GPSr (Garmin and Magellan are most common), these units have built-in features to really help your geocaching. You can get a new handheld GPSr in the $100-$250 neighborhood. I found my purchase of my Garmin has paid for itself time and again just with enjoyment and learning. If you find you don't like or don't use the handheld GPSr, you will not have any problem selling it.

Take care and welcome!!

Outspoken1

Welcome to the Forums! :unsure:

I have a Vista HCx with both City Navigator auto-routing maps, and Topo maps, installed on it. Since you already have a car GPS unit, you will only need Topo maps on your handheld, and you don't even need those, but you do need to get a handheld GPSr instead of trying to use the one you have for Geocaching.

The newer Garmin units with 'H' in the name, that connect to a computer with USB, instead of with the Serial Port, are the ones I recommend you look at. Check out Garmin's comparison page, then check online prices at places like Amazon.com, OffRoute.com, and TheNerds.net.

Hi everyone!

I did not want to post a new topic, as I am sure these questions are constantly asked. Anyway, I have received tons of great information about which hand-held GPS units are of better quality, etc. I have read a few posts that mentioned maps, but it was vague. Are maps included on the units mentioned above or all of them period? Are they generalized road maps or specific areas? I also read something about buying maps? I wasn't sure if this was essential or not. If someone could please enlighten me, I would greatly appreciate it! I just didn't want to be disappointed when something is extra or not included.