Explorist 500LE vs Triton 400

My Explorist 500LE does not have WAAS. My wife bought it for me as a Christmas gift. I have tried updating to the European firmware and it will not take. After searching some other forums, It may be due to my serial number. I talked with Magellan customer service and after an hour they said that they would replace my Explorist with a Triton 400. I am looking for some opinions on this trade in. Is it in my best interest to trade my Non Waas Explorist 500LE ( which I have enjoyed and find user friendly)for a Triton 400 ( I have no knowledge of, hence needing informed opinions). Thanks.

Scott

Nooooooooo! Keep the eXplorist, especially since you like it. The eXplorist is a reliable proven unit, whereas the Triton is still a work in progress. I'd rather have a reliable WAAS-less unit with a good file system than one that receives WAAS but does not autoroute, has an inaccurate trip odometer, and does not allow caches to be marked as found (though there is a workaround). Plus there's the issue of only being able to use VantagePoint to transfer waypoints and tracks instead of GSAK, GPSBabel, or Notepad to work with your waypoints and tracks. For how I use my GPSr, the Triton is a step backward.

Do NOT send it in for a trade. If you do, your nightmares will truly begin and you'll be without ANY unit for months. I won't elaborate because it's been beat to death on this forum, but you can't count on ANYTHING Magellan "Customer Service" tells you. I speak from experience.

I own both the Triton and Explorist.

The Triton 400 does not indicate it is picking up WAAS either although the accuracy of the unit is really good. Any GPS with or without WAAS will get you to a cache site.

I would recommend you stick with the Explorist 500 in this case since you are happy with the unit.

I had the Triton 500 and an Explorist 500. The Triton has been returned. It is very akward to use. My Explorist is way better in my opinion. Didn't notice any difference in accuracy while using both in the field. When entering and naming waypoints, I found the Triton was hard and cumbersome to add names and coordinates. The Explorists was much easier.

I replaced my Triton for a Garmin Colorado and will continue to use my Explorist (or my daughter will) when we are caching!

Tee

My Explorist 500LE does not have WAAS. My wife bought it for me as a Christmas gift. I have tried updating to the European firmware and it will not take. After searching some other forums, It may be due to my serial number. I talked with Magellan customer service and after an hour they said that they would replace my Explorist with a Triton 400. I am looking for some opinions on this trade in. Is it in my best interest to trade my Non Waas Explorist 500LE ( which I have enjoyed and find user friendly)for a Triton 400 ( I have no knowledge of, hence needing informed opinions). Thanks.

Scott

I have the same offer and am contemplating it.

What did you do/decide?

John