loading GPX and custom POI problem

wasnt sure what heading to use. My problem / issue is the difference in loading from mapsource compared to EasyGPS. When I load them through EasyGPS, I get the cache showing up on my unit identified by its name. ie "coastal walk" this is a good thing. When i use mapsource to copy to my unit ( or when i use the garmin POI loader to load extra caches as custom POI's), they show up according to their cache number, ie GC189F. This is not a good thing...

Any hints how to load them as Custom POI's and have them listed by name rather then number ? Would GSAK enable me to do this ? i have not used it much..

thanks

Scott

also, how do i then get the custom POI's to show up on the map like the caches do. At the moment, i press find -> Custom POI to see them. Is there a setting to have them show up automatically ?

Edited by sspack

GSAK will definitely be your friend here . . . :blink:

You can use the "smart name" codes to get a useful waypoint name, and useful comments, for both the waypoints sent to your GPSr, Exports to Mapsource, Exports to your PDA, if you have one, and the .gpx Export for the POI Loader.

You can mix and match the "smart name" codes any way you want. These are the codes I use for the Waypoint name: %smart=9 %con1%typ1%dif1%ter1

The information included is part of the Name, the Size of the container, the Type of cache (Traditional, Multi, Virtual, Puzzle), the Difficulty and Terrain (based on a 10-point scale). To get part of the hint, I use this code in the Waypoint Description blank of the "Send To GPS" dialogue box: %Name=10 %hint

For the POIs, I use the same Waypoint code, but for the Cache Description, I use this code: %By %Hint %Code

That gives me the cache owner's name, the hint, and if there are enough characters left, the GC code.

On my Vista HCx, the zoom level has to be at 500 ft. to get the Custom POIs to show up.

GSAK will definitely be your friend here . . . :huh:

You can use the "smart name" codes to get a useful waypoint name, and useful comments, for both the waypoints sent to your GPSr, Exports to Mapsource, Exports to your PDA, if you have one, and the .gpx Export for the POI Loader.

You can mix and match the "smart name" codes any way you want. These are the codes I use for the Waypoint name: %smart=9 %con1%typ1%dif1%ter1

The information included is part of the Name, the Size of the container, the Type of cache (Traditional, Multi, Virtual, Puzzle), the Difficulty and Terrain (based on a 10-point scale). To get part of the hint, I use this code in the Waypoint Description blank of the "Send To GPS" dialogue box: %Name=10 %hint

For the POIs, I use the same Waypoint code, but for the Cache Description, I use this code: %By %Hint %Code

That gives me the cache owner's name, the hint, and if there are enough characters left, the GC code.

On my Vista HCx, the zoom level has to be at 500 ft. to get the Custom POIs to show up.

My set up is similar but for hint I use: "%drop2 %hint %last4" without the quotes of course. This way, if there is no hint, you still get something to help which tells you if the lst four posts were finds or not finds. If there is a hint, it makes no difference because of the limited space. The hint will come first and only show the finds if there is still room, which is unlikely. This gives you something extra so if there is no hint and you see four did not finds, you know there is a problem.

thanks for the tips. though on my 60Cx, changing the "User Waypoints" didnt help. But literally, as I typed this I changed "Map Points" zoom and voila !!

awesome. Now to fork out the $25 for faster loading GSAk and we're in business :huh:)

Edited by sspack