Garmin's Software/Hardware policies...

A long ramble on how to squeeze the most out of expensive Garmin software updates and hardware packages...

I've been a long-time user of Garmin kit. Currently, we have 3x Streetpilot C510 (one to be sold off soon, no traffic capability) and a Vista Cx.

The last software issued was City Navigator NT Europe V9, it came with two "unlocks" available which I originally used to place mapping data into our first C510T and the Vista.

When Topo 2 came along (with a single unit unlock), I used that with the Vista and planned, at the next CN update, to use that to load data into two C510, so picked up the second C510 unit via eBay. End result was planned to be two cars with full Europe auto-routing and and ditto for the Vista with CN9 (it will do) and Topo UK for cache driving and off-road.

All going well at this point, I obtained a free CN Europe 2008 update when I registered the second-hand C510. When I installed this, I was dead pleased to find that it would provide me with the whole of Europe instead of just UK & Ireland. I was dead unimpressed when I found that the disc would only upgrade one unit! I used that update with my primary unit.

...so when I spotted some C510T (UK & Ireland) units being flogged off on eBuyer for £130, I decided to have a punt that these would get a free update too. A straight purchase of the upgrade was £60 from Garmin. Additionally, this unit, with the "T" suffix, includes the Traffic receiver/charger module that costs £50 as a separate purchase. For the £130 outlay, I could get £110 worth of upgrades and be left with a C510 (UK and Ireland - non-traffic enabled) surplus to requirements.

When I registered the new C510T, I was indeed entitled to a free update which is now on its way.

...so, if you have the need, knowledge and the patience, you can get the most out of Garmin's convoluted software upgrade/hardware package policies.

Hopefully, CN Europe 10 (or 2009) will go back to two "unlocks" - if not, we'll be going back to a single car unit.