Task - Find Fred

The Cartooners

...how do you inform the player of the distance and direction to go to meet Fred.

I don't have my emulator running right now, but since Fred is an object in the zone, you should see the distance and direction by clicking on 'you see' tab. I'm sure there is an internal variable that we don't know about that could do just what you are saying, but perhaps all you need to do is direct the player to look at the 'you see' tab. Just be sure that you don't have too many items or characters where you are giving the player information overload.

Hope this helps.

...how do you inform the player of the distance and direction to go to meet Fred.

I don't have my emulator running right now, but since Fred is an object in the zone, you should see the distance and direction by clicking on 'you see' tab. I'm sure there is an internal variable that we don't know about that could do just what you are saying, but perhaps all you need to do is direct the player to look at the 'you see' tab. Just be sure that you don't have too many items or characters where you are giving the player information overload.

Hope this helps.

I don't see anything at all in "you see" section

Oh, 'Fred' is a task. Hmmm, I didn't know you could place a task in a zone. Like I said, I don't have the program running right now. However, could you create an item or character and call it Fred? Place it in the zone and specify the coords and that should do the trick. Add some interaction commands to the Fred item/character to enable the player to complete the task.

That's right. Fred could either be a zone, character, or item called the same. I would probably make Fred a character and a zone because it makes sense as you approach Fred, you'll want to execute some code and once you are within a short distance from Fred, you'll want to interact with the NPC.

That's right. Fred could either be a zone, character, or item called the same. I would probably make Fred a character and a zone because it makes sense as you approach Fred, you'll want to execute some code and once you are within a short distance from Fred, you'll want to interact with the NPC.

I have overcome my initial problem by setting the property "Show objects in this zone when" to always. doh.

However, in reply to the Ranger, I do indeed wish to interact with Fred (Character) once I have found him and reach close proximity to him after searching for him via the the task "Find Fred".

So, does that mean that I can have a zone within a zone?

I guess. I can't say because I haven't tried it, though. There's another thread by cache_in_pocket, http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=188310, that discusses that.

Why would you need a zone within a zone? If you are looking to interact with Fred, make Fred a character object. If you're looking for Fred to shout at you if you're close to him, set Fred's containing zone's proximity and distant methods. When the player enters the zone, s/he can interact with Fred. With those options available, my question to you is why you would be interested in having a zone within a zone.

I guess. I can't say because I haven't tried it, though. There's another thread by cache_in_pocket, http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=188310, that discusses that.

Why would you need a zone within a zone? If you are looking to interact with Fred, make Fred a character object. If you're looking for Fred to shout at you if you're close to him, set Fred's containing zone's proximity and distant methods. When the player enters the zone, s/he can interact with Fred. With those options available, my question to you is why you would be interested in having a zone within a zone.

Creating a zone within a zone is not what I want to do.

How do I set Fred's containing zone's proximity and distant methods? I believe that this will solve my problem. However, I can only see settings for these for zones and not for a character.

Appreciate the help.

Select your zone in the builder's main window. To the right, you'll see the distance, proximity, enter, exit, and state events. To set either of those, click on the event and choose "New Script". You can do what you'd like after that.

If I wanted Fred to greet the player when s/he enters a zone, I'd define a "SayHi" event on Fred and go into the Lua source and call the function. I don't know if there is a way in the builder to call a character's event.

Select your zone in the builder's main window. To the right, you'll see the distance, proximity, enter, exit, and state events. To set either of those, click on the event and choose "New Script". You can do what you'd like after that.

If I wanted Fred to greet the player when s/he enters a zone, I'd define a "SayHi" event on Fred and go into the Lua source and call the function. I don't know if there is a way in the builder to call a character's event.

Forgive me if I am missing something here but I want the player to walk to a given location within the zone before and dialogs take place.

I too have been battling with this kind of scenario, and a small zone within a larger zone has been the only way I've found so far.

It works in the emulator, but I've yet to get a chance to test it in the real world.

OK, so a zone in a zone is the way forward. Like Jaz666 I have also tried this and agree that it works in the emulator.

Now to try it out in the field.

Many thanks