Magellan eXplorist 400 .gpx issues

Okay so I became a member so I could use .gPx instead of .LOC files to have all the information like hints and what not displayed. However I have tried sending the files to my GPS but they wont open ive tried straight click and dragging them into my gps, ive tried sending them with Geobuddy, and Easygps but none will work. Any suggestions??

Unfortunately the eXplorist line does not understand straight .gpx formatted files.

You must use some program to convert them to .gs files. I use GSAK, which is nag-ware or $30 one time fee. See http://gsak.net/ One note in GSAK: Make sure on the Export to eXploris has "Explorist Geocaches" in the "Required Format". Also in the "Geocache Name field I put "%Name". I save to the hard disk then copy using windows explorer to my GPSr.

I think the Magellan Geocache Manager can be used to open the .gpx formatted file, then send the converted data as a .gs to your GPSr. Or give sanramonhunter's suggestion a go.

Edited by letmein

Once the .gs file is on the GPSr you must choose it as the active one.

Depending on your firmware version this is under menu->active map or something else with the word "map" I think (sorry I don't remember). In that screen you can see where the detail map is selected, and at the bottom of the screen, the active geocache file. Select the one you want, return to the map screen (hit escape). There should now be geocaches shown in cute little green rectangles.

Oh, plus check your zoom level. Zoom in and out a bit and see if they show up.

Edited by letmein

If you can work through the issue you are having, you will NEVER go back to just .loc files!

Here is another thought -- are you sure you have geocaches in the .gpx file? You can edit the file in Notepad or any other text editor. Also, download GSAK (free for 21 days no nag), then open the .gpx file and see if your expected geocaches are in there.

FamilyDNA will probably beat me to this post, but you really should make use of "Pocket Queries" to get 200 geocaches at a time.

1. On geocaching.com, hit the "My Account" link on the left side of the screen.

2. On the right side of the screen under "Premium Features" hit "Build Pocket Queries".

3. Hit "Create a new query"

4. Type in a name for the query, like "Near home".

5. Check the day of week, such as Mon.

6. Change the "Show me" to 200 caches.

7. Find the "That (and)" and check "Is Active".

8. Find the "From Origin". Select one of the radio buttons. I usually use a waypoint name, but for now enter your zip code. MAKE SURE you hit the radio button by Postal code.

9. Press the "Submit information" button.

Soon you will have an email to the account you setup in geocaching.com.

Save the .zip file, open and extract the .gpx file, open the .gpx file in Vantage or what ever (I use GSAK), convert to .gs on your GPS. Activate the file on the "Active Setup" or "Active Map" (depending on your firmware). You should then see them.

Edited by letmein

I hope they will start showing up. I've never downloaded a single .gpx file, so I don't know how or if that way works. I know that the 200 at once pocket query works because I use it every week. If it doesn't work for you the problem must be somewhere in the flow of download, conversion to .gs, save to GPSr, or activation on GPSr.

Its really strange, the files are going on with vantagepoint, and i can now actually access the file on my gps, turn them active, see all the information, but I just cant see the icon to know where it is (which is a crucial part of geocaching). ummm what is Trolling?

Edited by Vorsicht

Are you able to see your cache in geobuddy or whaever you are using?

If you would like me to look at the .gpx file and see if I can load it. I've just sent you email That has my email address so you can sent me the file directly. (I won't be able to look until tomorrow--it is time for bed here).

Meanwhile, please give the pocket query a go. It is pretty easy once you try it.

Good night for now.

Vorsicht,

I received the .gpx file you sent. I used both Magellan Geocache Manager and GSAK to convert it to a .gs file.

I went into my Menu->Active Map setup on my eXplorist 500, and selected the file. I then hit escape. I did a Menu->Pts of Interest->Geocache Pts (find by nearest)->Nearest to position. A cache called "The Friendly Giant" was the only cache in the list. (It is 2905 miles from my home). I selected the cache by pressing enter.

The GPS has the details I've seen before. I selected "View". The map screen appears, and there is the cache somewhere out on the edge of no where Canada. Nova Scotia! I wish I could go there.

Your file worked for me using both M. Geocache Manager and with GSAK.

Try a goto with your file active. Does it show up in the list, then give you the red/yellow line to the cache from your present location?

If so, then you have your map setup switched to not display geocaches. To turn back on:

1. Menu

2. Scroll down and select "Map Setup"

3. Press the joystick to the right and select the "Display" tab.

4. Scroll down and select "Geocache Icons"

5. The "Geocache Names" also turns on automatically.

6. Hit escape.

You should now be able to see the geocache way over there on the east side of the North American continent, even if you zoom way out.

Let us know how it works out!

You're not trolling now are you? <_<

From what I hear of Magellan's support yours would be a totally wasted call.

I am having some of the same troubles you had. Please help me. I have the explorist 400. I have tried using magellan geocache manager but when I go to geocaching site and select some of the cahes on one page and then download I can only load those and can't add to that file.

I have tried vantagepoint and it loks like it is transfering a file but when I look at GPS there is nothing.

Mapsend will not work for me nor will geobuddy.

I want this to be easy but I have sent the last 3 days tring to get them on.

HELP <_<

You're not trolling now are you? <_<

From what I hear of Magellan's support yours would be a totally wasted call.

I am having some of the same troubles you had. Please help me. I have the explorist 400. I have tried using magellan geocache manager but when I go to geocaching site and select some of the cahes on one page and then download I can only load those and can't add to that file.

I have tried vantagepoint and it loks like it is transfering a file but when I look at GPS there is nothing.

Mapsend will not work for me nor will geobuddy.

I want this to be easy but I have sent the last 3 days tring to get them on.

HELP <_<

Your A premium member you can use PQs, you can download up to 500 caches on a PQ but the explorists will only except up to 200 per file, also make sure the file is in GPX format and not LOC.

I would also try using GSAK or Magellans Vantagepoint, vantagepoint is pretty simple to use.

You can also make subfolders in your geocache folder.

If you do not have a SD card in your 400 I would install one to load your maps ad geocaches on