Thinking about setting up a cache, need some clarification.

EvilTwin1974

I live next to an old RAF station thats now used by the British Army. Round the outside of the perimeter fence is a public footpath that follows round the edge of the camp, there are a few nice woods, and areas that have great views.

In short its a nice path to go for a wander on a sunny afternoon with the family (my kid likes watching the heli's taking off and landing), or trot round on an MTB doing some trail riding. Some of those woods are public, and would be great to hide my first cache in (particularly as the nearest cache is 3 miles away, so no saturation problems!), but the guidelines state that caches should not be:

"Caches near or on military installations"

How near qualifys as 'near'?

I've no interest in placing a cache inside the camp, I know the perfect spot, but I'd like

"Near" will depend on the individual area and its sensitivity to security issues. Certainly if a geocacher can be seen by a patrolling guard, a lookout in a tower, or a person monitoring security cameras, then that spot is too close.

Who owns the land on which the footpath exists, and where the cache is hidden? If you have permission from that land owner, or if the path is a part of a public right of way as is common in England, this would be helpful to know.

You could also contact the military base's civilian liason to let them know what you have in mind, and ask if they'd mind people poking about outside their security fence in the search for a little box. Letting them know that the item is not a security threat would be quite helpful.

Finally you will want to let your local cache reviewer know any information that you collect from speaking with the land owner and the military base.

The path is marked on the OS maps as a public right of way. There are no towers round the camp, just a huge fence, with razorwire on top. Someone poking about in the woods I'm thinking of, would not be able to see the camp, I'm just looking for some clarification.

How do I find out who the local reviewer is for my area?

To find the reviewer for your area, look at a few of the nearest caches to where you want to put your cache and 'view all' of the logs. The first or second log will be one that says the cache was published - the person who published it is the reviewer. Click on their name, which will link to their profile, from where you can send them an email.