How can I get French caches translated to English?

california-jones

I'd advise you to contact some cache owners. Some have a translation to English already set. Others will translate it for you. That's what experience tells me. Some won't reply for a dozen reasons.

If everything fails so far, try using some online translators. Be advised that they will translate word by word. Somethings will be lost in translation.

http://www.google.com/language_tools

http://babelfish.altavista.com/

Good luck!

Thanks for responding to my english post in the french forum. I can see that I am among friends.

I am looking for a couple of simple caches near my hotel in Grenoble (Hotel Mercure Grenoble President). I have downloaded 100 caches (which is my standard pocket query config). But, I would like to stick to simple ones as the "lost in translation" may be too difficult for the complex multi-stage ones.

Thanks a lot for your help, gperlier.

You aren't going to get 100 translations done. But Traditional caches are meant to be right where the GPS says. By sticking to low D/T ratings and avoiding micros, you shouldn't have too many DNFs.

Also, beware of caches which appear to have an English translation. In many cases this will have been done by computer but there's no note to that effect. For example, the word "limps" appears when the French word "boite" (a noun meaning box) gets translated by software as if it were the present indicative of the French verb "boiter", meaning to walk with a limp. In cases like that you're probably better off with no translation at all.