Time to upgrade to...

I've been caching for three months and have found 200+ caches with my trusty blue Legend. I'm addicted to caching now and I'd like to stay with Garmin and upgrade to a unit with a color screen with better tracking and better memory that I can also use for driving directions. Would a 60csx or an Hcx be a better choice? Thanks

The Colorado still has a lot of issues, so I wouldn't look at that anyway until some more firmware upgrades come down.

I use a 60CX. This does not have the electronic compass. I use to use the 60CX and decided that I didn't really need it and wanted to save the $50. I am not sure that I made the correct decision. This is an excellent unit for geocaching and Auto-Routing. Some people like the smaller units though for geocaching, in which case you might want to look at one of the HCX models. Both have the newer high sensitive hardware, so it will more depend on your personal preference. I would go to a sporting goods store and pick up both models to see which one you like better. If they will let you take them both outside so you can see how well the screen shows up before you make up your mind.

I used to use a "Blue Legend" and it worked fine in most situations...

Then I gt a GPSMAP 60cx and it was like night and day.. A very intuitive unit, and it wouldn't lose satellite reception in the forested valleys.

I installed a 2GB microSD card and I have all kind of topo and street maps and I'm only using 7% of my space.... I would also suggest investing in a case for whatever you do decide.

I just recently upgraded from a 5 year old Garmin GPS 72 to an eTrex Legend HCx. I am so far very happy with my choice. I was after 2 specific things on the upgrade: higher sensitivity chipset (the GPS 72 is awful under tree cover) and the ability to have topo maps so I can view water terrain obstacles as I navigate to a cache. On my initial run with the new unit last weekend, it performed just fine.

Combined gps unit, 1GB memory card, and Topo 2008 DVD purchased from Amazon for under $290, money well spent in my opinion. Can't wait to see how it does in mid-summer with my usual forested heavy-leaf-cover treks.

I was originally looking at the 60 CSx last summer, but I'm glad I waited and discovered the HCx eTrex series for at least a $100 savings. I find I like the smaller size in my hand better also.