GPSr for two purposes?

Hello,

I tried geocaching a few years back and loved it. Now I have my wife convinced that it could be fun with the kids and dog. All I have to do is get over the fear of ticks and we're ready to go. My question for you:

I want a GPSr for geocaching. My wife has expressed an interest in something for the car since she works in the county (and frequently calls me at work to get directions off the internet). can one unit do both? Before you answer, here are other thoughts:

- the only local thing to buy here are Garmin Legend and Venture. I will buy something online if it can do both

- We are in Ontario, so I assume I will have to buy new maps for whatever we get?

- She doesn't need unti to tell her to "turn right here" but a map and directions could help her

- I don't need anything fancy.

Thank you for all your help.

You didn't mention a budget. I have a Garmin 60cx, and it does have basic car navigation. You'll need to buy Garmin City Navigator software to get the most out of the car navigation features. Instead of buying City Navigator, I ended up picking up a TomTom Go to use in the car and kept the Garmin for everything else. The TomTom didn't cost much more than City Navigator and has a larger screen. You can find TomTom Go units on sale for less than $200 (USD). A Garmin equivalent to the TomTom is the Nuvi series.

You might consider getting an eTrex Legend HCx for geocaching and a TomTom or Garmin Nuvi for the car. For example, buying from Amazon: a Garmin Legend HCx + Garmin Nuvi 200 will run around $400, a GPSmap 60cx + City Navigator is about the same.

You'd end up with a good GPS for the car and a good GPS for geocaching and outdoor activities.

Welcome to the Forums! :D

As I understand it, the Canadian Topo maps will auto-route, unlike the Topo maps for the U.S. Although the 60 Cx/CSx or 76 Cx/CSx are very nice, you don't have to spend that much money to get a GPS unit you can use for Geocaching and auto-routing. Check out the Garmin Legend HCx or Vista HCx. Either one of those will auto-route with auto-routing maps installed, and they are more compact for hiking.

You didn't mention a budget. I have a Garmin 60cx, and it does have basic car navigation. You'll need to buy Garmin City Navigator software to get the most out of the car navigation features. Instead of buying City Navigator, I ended up picking up a TomTom Go to use in the car and kept the Garmin for everything else. The TomTom didn't cost much more than City Navigator and has a larger screen. You can find TomTom Go units on sale for less than $200 (USD). A Garmin equivalent to the TomTom is the Nuvi series.

You might consider getting an eTrex Legend HCx for geocaching and a TomTom or Garmin Nuvi for the car. For example, buying from Amazon: a Garmin Legend HCx + Garmin Nuvi 200 will run around $400, a GPSmap 60cx + City Navigator is about the same.

You'd end up with a good GPS for the car and a good GPS for geocaching and outdoor activities.

Thanks all for the advice. I eventually took jopsam's advice and went with two units:

Venture HC for beating around the bush, and a Nuvi 250W for the car.

Grand total is about $450 (CAD) and they come with enough maps for me. The Nuvi base map is more detailed than I expected to get if I bought additional maps for Northern Ontario.

I have only had them for about a day now but I love them both. Can't wait to lose the last three feet of snow and get out there hunting.

Thank you, all.