How can I get the Tracking # on a TB after-the-fact

WestbrooksByTheSea

Help!

I grabbed a TB at a local cache and dropped him 180 miles away, and forgot to note his tracking number. I tried to log the find and the drop, but when you do that it asks you for the tracking number. I tried using the reference number that appears on that TB's description page, but that doesn't work. Any suggestions?

PS - I have emailed the TB's owner using Groundspeak's "send message to" process, but haven't heard back so I thought I might try something else (if there IS anything else).

Thanks!

If all else fails, you might be able to contact someone who has previously moved the TB. I've had to do this with two coins in the past when I mixed up the caches I logged them into and lost my notes that had the tracking numbers. I was lucky as I knew that a couple of the previous loggers on the TB kept very good records.

Also, you can put the TB on a watchlist and contact the next person who picks it up. If they don't want to give you the tracking number, you can at least ask them to log the TB into the correct caches to better record its mileage.

Hopefully that helps some :-)

Edited by intolerable

Try e-mailing the owner. Somebody found one of my travel bugs and was in a similar predicament, they e-mailed me and luckily I had the COPY dogtag with the same tracking# that I was able to give them.

As the bug owner if you visit your bug page, under Trackable Item Options you will see the tracking number listed. They added that a while back since it was definitely needed! :unsure:

Try e-mailing the owner. Somebody found one of my travel bugs and was in a similar predicament, they e-mailed me and luckily I had the COPY dogtag with the same tracking# that I was able to give them.

As the bug owner if you visit your bug page, under Trackable Item Options you will see the tracking number listed. They added that a while back since it was definitely needed! :anibad:

I had the same problem (misplaced the TB #) and tried to log in the number found on the bug's page, but it is just a reference # and wouldn't work as a tracking #. I have emailed the owner for it, since he should have the copy tag, but no response. My last ditch effort was to type a note (for the next geocacher who picks it up) in the log of the cache I left the bug in to please contact me w/ the TB # so I can correctly enter it into the inventory.

Help!

I grabbed a TB at a local cache and dropped him 180 miles away, and forgot to note his tracking number. I tried to log the find and the drop, but when you do that it asks you for the tracking number. I tried using the reference number that appears on that TB's description page, but that doesn't work. Any suggestions?

PS - I have emailed the TB's owner using Groundspeak's "send message to" process, but haven't heard back so I thought I might try something else (if there IS anything else).

Thanks!

All of these suggestions are good (i.e., contact the owner, or contact a previous finder who may or may not believe your story, or post a note to the TB page and/or cache page asking the next finder to send you the tracking number).

Ways to avoid this in the future:

1. Take a photo of all TBs/coins showing the number.

2. Never drop a coin until you have logged the retrieval (with the TB/coin in your hand) :rolleyes: