Vista HCx shuts down when connected to USB

Big Squirrel

My Vista HCx just began shutting down when I plug it into a USB connection. I've restarted my computer, switched batteries, tried a different cable and USB plug. Has anyone else had this problem? Any ideas?

Overwhelmed, unpowered USB hub, perhaps?

I've been using a hub but it is powered. I also tried connecting directly to my computer and that didn't help.

Just a thought . . .

My Computer (Right Click) -> Properties -> Hardware -> Device Manager -> Universal Serial Bus controllers -> Click the '+' to expand -> Right Click on each 'USB Root Hub' -> Properties -> Power Management Tab -> uncheck 'Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power'

I can't say this will solve your problem, but it's worth a check . . .

Cache On!

JohnTee

Just a thought . . .

My Computer (Right Click) -> Properties -> Hardware -> Device Manager -> Universal Serial Bus controllers -> Click the '+' to expand -> Right Click on each 'USB Root Hub' -> Properties -> Power Management Tab -> uncheck 'Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power'

I can't say this will solve your problem, but it's worth a check . . .

Cache On!

JohnTee

I didn't know that setting existed. Unfortunately it didn't work, but it was worth a try. Thanks.

Don't use a hub it should solve your issue. Also if you ever try to update the gps unit software and are using a hub you can brick the unit. best bet is not using a hub or even the front USB ports on a PC(basically front ports are a hub).

I had my legendC do this exact same thing and I always thought there was something wrong with it, turns out it was the PC. I have never had any issues with that GPS since getting a newer computer.

I didn't know that setting existed. Unfortunately it didn't work, but it was worth a try. Thanks.

It's probably more useful when running a GPS (or other device) from a laptop. If the device goes into power/battery saving mode, it also reduces power to the USB ports. Found this out from DeLorme in reference to using my DeLorme LT-20 with my laptop.

Cache On!

JohnTee