"Send to GPS" not workiing properly

macfuddl

Hi there

Again there are problems with the "Send to GPS"-function.

When I press "Write", the message "Geocache GCxxxx.gpx saved successfully" appears, but nothing is sent.

But sometimes - I couldn't reproduce the circumstances - it works for one or to caches. Sometimes it helps to write the same cache two-three-four times, sometimes it doesn't.

I have this problem on Mac PPC OSX 10.4.11 with Firefox 2.0.0.12 and with Safari 3.

But its the same on a PC running Vista and Firefox 2.0.0.12.

It would be nice if you could help.

If there are odd characters in the cache name such as #@%&, the "Send to GPS" button doesn't work. Although, I have never personally experienced the problem because it only takes a few seconds longer to download the .gpx file directly from the cache page, open it in the software I use on my PC (GSAK), and use the right-click "Send to GPS" option in that program. That way, the waypoint is sent to my GPS with the preferred "smart name" format I have for the Waypoint Name.

Just a thought . . . until the "Send to GPS" button works better. :ph34r:

Hi

Still I have problems with "Send to GPS"

Firefox works fine. But the problem is still there with Safari 3.1 on Mac PPC OSX 10.4.11:

When I press "Write", the message "Geocache GCxxxx.gpx saved successfully" appears, but nothing is sent.

But sometimes - I couldn't reproduce the circumstances - it works for one or two caches. Sometimes it helps to write the same cache two-three-four times, sometimes it doesn't.

I installed "Garmin Communicator Plugin for Mac software version 2.3.2.0 as of December 18, 2007".

But the Garmin test page tells me I'm runnig an older version ?!?

This is a pity because geocaching runs much faster on Safari as on Firefox.

Will there be a fix?

Der Macfuddl

I also use a Mac, PPC MacOS 10.4.11, and I have experienced this problem a couple of times. It seems to be cache page specific, and only certain pages fail (perhaps for the reasons mentioned above).

Even though there is no GSAK for the Mac, you can still download the GPX files and use a program like MacCaching to transfer them if Send to GPS fails.

I also use a Mac, PPC MacOS 10.4.11, and I have experienced this problem a couple of times. It seems to be cache page specific, and only certain pages fail (perhaps for the reasons mentioned above).

Even though there is no GSAK for the Mac, you can still download the GPX files and use a program like MacCaching to transfer them if Send to GPS fails.

No, I don't think that this problem is cache page specific. Because after restarting Safari, it work with the 1st cache, the 2nd cache fails. After restarting Safari it works with the 2nd which ist then the 1st cache, and the next fails.

This is a problem "Send to GPS" has with Safari.

And I know the other ways to transfer caches. But why going one of these ways when the short way could work also?

So, Groundspeak Team, please help! ;-)

Der Macfuddl

I just got a Garmin Venture HC and I'm running Mac 10.5.2 and it isn't working either. I've tried Safari 3.1 and FireFox 2.0.0.13 and neither browsers are working. The pop-up window says that I have my GPSr connected but then the area below says that I may not have the updated Garmin Communicator, of which I just downloaded last night. Any insight to this issue would be WONDERFUL!

At the moment, both Safari and Firefox work once and not again. After restart, again once, ans so on.

:-(

I used Send to GPS several times recently with Firefox.

Perhaps Garmin's plugin does not work properly with your version of MacOS? Maybe contact Garmin.

Good luck.

I used Send to GPS several times recently with Firefox.

Perhaps Garmin's plugin does not work properly with your version of MacOS? Maybe contact Garmin.

Good luck.

That's not a bad idea, contacting Garmin, but the interesting thing is that I can send to my GPSr all day when I log into Garmin's myGarmin site. Additionally, I believe I have also successfully sent waypoints to my Garmin using Google Maps. ?? I'm wondering if there is a protocol (or API, or something) that Geocaching.com needs to update on their back-end to accommodate for the new Germin GPS units? I have contacted GC.com tech support already (still waiting a response) and will be contact Garmin too.

I have just installed Garmin communicator and connected it to my Mac (G4 running OS X 10.4.11) to try the send to GPS function and I too get problems. Here is what I do and the result I get.

Connect GPS and turn it on

Click Send to GPS

Receive Found eTrex VentureCx message

Click Write and get following pop up error message

There was an error communicating with your device.

Please make sure your device is plugged in and turned on.

If errors continue to occur, you may need to restart your device.

However on the send to GPS page it now says Geocache GCP6N5.gpx saved successfully !!!!

The cache however does not appear on my GPS anywhere and the GPS is dissconnected i.e. says no GPS found.

I then tried the GPS in USB mode and it wrote it to the memory card without the error but still does not appear on the GPS.

On a hunch I then tried the Garmin communicator test page after switching the GPS back on, and it said device found and correct version installed ..... however ..... if I then click test page again, it says the device could not be found. Is there a bug with the Mac version or am I doing something wrong ??????

Any help would be greatly appreciated

I have just installed Garmin communicator and connected it to my Mac (G4 running OS X 10.4.11) to try the send to GPS function and I too get problems. Here is what I do and the result I get.

Connect GPS and turn it on

Click Send to GPS

Receive Found eTrex VentureCx message

Click Write and get following pop up error message

There was an error communicating with your device.

Please make sure your device is plugged in and turned on.

If errors continue to occur, you may need to restart your device.

However on the send to GPS page it now says Geocache GCP6N5.gpx saved successfully !!!!

The cache however does not appear on my GPS anywhere and the GPS is dissconnected i.e. says no GPS found.

I then tried the GPS in USB mode and it wrote it to the memory card without the error but still does not appear on the GPS.

On a hunch I then tried the Garmin communicator test page after switching the GPS back on, and it said device found and correct version installed ..... however ..... if I then click test page again, it says the device could not be found. Is there a bug with the Mac version or am I doing something wrong ??????

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Are you using Safari or Firefox? Send to GPS usually works for me with Firefox. I gave up using it with Safari because I could not count on it (the Send would appear to work normally, but the cache would not be in my eTrex Vista HCx).

Hi Uncle Jimbo

I was using Safari 3.1.1. I have however tried it with Firefox 2.0.0.14 and got exactly the same error message. I tend to use Safari as Googlemaps do not display in Firefox at the moment (at least not on my computer), wish they would get that fixed soon. Does your Firefox display googlemaps ??

Hi Uncle Jimbo

I was using Safari 3.1.1. I have however tried it with Firefox 2.0.0.14 and got exactly the same error message. I tend to use Safari as Googlemaps do not display in Firefox at the moment (at least not on my computer), wish they would get that fixed soon. Does your Firefox display googlemaps ??

I have not noticed any problems with Google Maps with Firefox on my Mac.

I have now solved the problem of Send to GPS not working, however it did involve having to use a PC :)

Out of desperation I thought I would try and upgrade the GPS software which was still at version 2.60 to the latest version 3.00 so after much tooing and froing installing USB drivers etc on a PC I managed to upgrade, and when I then tried the send to GPS it worked perfectly :) And using Safari too :D

Thanks Uncle Jimbo for your reply about Firefox, weird about Google Maps, as Firefox works OK on our Mini Mac, it only went wrong on the Power Mac after a Firefox update, and there are a few threads in other sites that it is a genuine problem, just a question a to whether they will fix it :)

I have now solved the problem of Send to GPS not working, however it did involve having to use a PC :D

Out of desperation I thought I would try and upgrade the GPS software which was still at version 2.60 to the latest version 3.00 so after much tooing and froing installing USB drivers etc on a PC I managed to upgrade, and when I then tried the send to GPS it worked perfectly :) And using Safari too :)

Thanks Uncle Jimbo for your reply about Firefox, weird about Google Maps, as Firefox works OK on our Mini Mac, it only went wrong on the Power Mac after a Firefox update, and there are a few threads in other sites that it is a genuine problem, just a question a to whether they will fix it :)

Glad you got it to work. I forgot to ask if had the latest software on your GPSr. Btw, I have never needed a PC to upgrade my eTrex Vista HCx software (always use my Mac).