Cheap phone with GPS for caching in Russia

Von-Horst

We're thinking about possibly going to Moscow late this year or early next and would like to do a little caching (there aren't that many GC caches to do!) whilst we're there.

GPS handsets are now legal in Russia but I'd rather not draw attention to us and to that end I'm thinking that a GPS-enabled phone might be the best way to go.

Can anyone recomend a (relatively) cheap phone with GPS that will provide a basic geocaching function (ie allow us to navigate to a set waypoint) so that I can have a trawl of eBay over the next few months?

Many thanks,

Mike

edited because I am a Muppet who cannot spell!

Edited by Von-Horst

That's where my GPS watch comes into play :mad:

bf9011ba-60a5-45e0-bf79-f330ae4c086e.jpg

Look for Garmin Forerunner 205 (mine is the 305 but you don't need that unless you want it to monitor your heart rate while caching :blink:). It's basically a sports watch that uses GPS to track speed/distance. It also has very basic features for caching, ie. show distance/direction to a waypoint and plot your path - no maps though and only holds 50 waypoints. But good enough for some undercover caching - haven't been to Russia but found my first >200 caches with it ... :D

Not sure if they can be considered as (relatively) cheap yet.. price should go down though as there's a new version coming out soon.

Edited by luzian