How can i convert a track into a route ?

jonslater

Ive bought a cd with loads of UK walking tracks on it, i can load it onto my garmin but it shows as a track.

Ive used GPs trackmaker to convert the tracks in to a route, but instead of following the track shape, it draws straight lines between points.

Is there any software to exactly convert a track to a route ?

thanks

Most GPS's have limited route capability, I.E. Magellan Gold is 50 points per route but even their MapSend Topo program has problems if it's more than about 28 points.

There are GPSBable options for converting tracks to routes. But you will have to export your tracks from your software into one of the many formats that GPSBable can understand and then figure out GPSBable (I still can't do anything good with that program on my own).

But other mapping programs might also have the ability to convert tracks to routes. I think Garmin MapSource Topo can, have to fire that up. I know that MapTech Terrain Navigator does, but that's over $100 per state or region.

As above, GPSBabel, http://www.gpsbabel.org, has a filter/transform option for tracks to routes. It works fine fine with Garmin GDB files. Using the GUI is just point and click.

There shouldn't be much of a problem with the point count but you may have to split the track. Most of the later Garmin trail units have a route limit of 250 points compared to the 500 point limit for saved tracks.

As above, GPSBabel, http://www.gpsbabel.org, has a filter/transform option for tracks to routes. It works fine fine with Garmin GDB files. Using the GUI is just point and click.

There shouldn't be much of a problem with the point count but you may have to split the track. Most of the later Garmin trail units have a route limit of 250 points compared to the 500 point limit for saved tracks.

Thanks, The GPSBabel I use is the one pre-canned with GSAK so it does not have the GUI. I just downloaded that and it looks great.

Now I might be able to do something I've wanted to do for a while. The GPX files I've created for the various Delorme Challenges around New England I used routes to draw the lines, bad decision. That's fine on the computer as all routes show. But on a GPSr only the active route shows and the way I drew the lines leave a lot to be desired, i.e. I went for optimal minimal number of total points and number of routes. Converting to track will be great.

I could have done it by editing the text files but that's a lot of work.