Colorado barometer not logging data when alarm clock is set

yogazoo

I have run a few tests over the past several evenings and it appears to be conclusive. The Colorado does not log barometer data if the alarm is set and the unit turned off.

A few things to note: I have tested the time loss issue and my unit passed.

That said...

Test steps: (First make sure that the "Save Always" selection in the setup menu/altimeter is set)

1) Set the alarm to wake me in the a.m.

2) Choose the "turn off" option when prompted after turning alarm clock on.

3) Observe the data plots on the altimeter page in the a.m. It has always been a straight line. When I scroll to observe the time data, the straight line starts when I turned the unit off and becomes dynamic again when the alarm clock turned the unit on. Note: it is NOT a FLAT line, rather a STRAIGHT line from the last logged point to the startup point.

New Test:

Since the Barometric data is logged every 15 minutes I ran these tests over the course of an hour.

1) View "ambient pressure" on graph. Place unit inside a ziplock bag and inflate with a straw before zipping. Observe how the pressure rises and falls depending on how much pressure you place on the bag with your hand.

2) Now set the alarm clock and turn the unit off.

3) Place the unit inside the ziplock, inflate with air and place a small book on top of it.

4) after an hour (4 data points) remove from baggie and turn the unit on manually. You will see that the unit did not log the artificial increase in ambient pressure.

Notes: If these tests are run with the Alarm Off, the data is logged!

I feel that this is a defect and should be addressed in a future firmware/software update. It seems as though there is an issue with managing things when the power is turned off and a request for data remains active (i.e. clock, barometer, alarm). This could be related to (but different from) the clock problem and only manifest itself in certain units.

At first glance it may strike one to be a minor issue but could potentially manifest itself in a more prevailant manner in the future. It just plain sucks that Garmin missed so many little issues. Especially after owning so many rock-solid, polished units.

Could others else please test this and post your results so we can get some sort of concensus.

Thanks!

Edited by yogazoo

UPDATE:

Well appearantly, when off and "Save Always" selected, my 300 unit does not log barometric data regardless of if the alarm is set or not. It simply does not log the data when the unit is off. I always get the straight line regardless.

See Screenshots: (sorry, don't know how to insert photo's)

Test 1: (note the time)

T1) http://lampropeltis.googlepages.com/1268.b...-full;init:.bmp

T2) http://lampropeltis.googlepages.com/1276.b...-full;init:.bmp

Test 2:(note the time)

T1) http://lampropeltis.googlepages.com/1223.b...-full;init:.bmp

T2) http://lampropeltis.googlepages.com/1227.b...-full;init:.bmp

One thing to note, and this may be related and it may not be related. I notice that about 5 minutes after shutting the unit down the backlight suddenly lights up for two seconds. Wierd! I know. I don't know if this is a symptom of the problem or just a strange quirk but it didn't happen to any of the two before this one. Yes, this is my THIRD unit that appears to be defective in one way or another. :D

Unit 1) Clock not keeping time when off. (returned to retailer for exchange)

Unit 2) Manufacturing residue inside casing which made the unit appear to have bad pixels. (returned to Garmin for exchange)

Unit 3) Now this unit appears to have issues logging barometric data when off even if "Save Always" is checked.

I'm begining to seriously loose faith in Garmin's quality control. :lol:

Does anyone else experience the failure to log barometric data while the unit is off?

Edited by yogazoo

It could be the new chipset I received in my new replacement unit.

"CHIPSET TYPE M" as stated in the webupdater!

What was wrong with the older G chipset and why have they replaced it so early in the units production life?

I'm wondering if you go to the diagnostic screen what do you see for versions and such?

GO$Rs

I'm wondering if you go to the diagnostic screen what do you see for versions and such?

GO$Rs

It looks similar to my other units. 2.3 blah blah 2.6 and then the disclaimer. Nothing eluding to the chipset. The web updater was the one that told me the chipset was "Type M".

GO$Rs

It looks similar to my other units. 2.3 blah blah 2.6 and then the disclaimer. Nothing eluding to the chipset. The web updater was the one that told me the chipset was "Type M".

If you press and hold the center of the Rock'n Roller while you turn it on the Colorado will enter a diagnostic screen which gives the following information on my 400t:

Software Version 2.30

AVR Version 37

GPS Version 260

GO$Rs

If you press and hold the center of the Rock'n Roller while you turn it on the Colorado will enter a diagnostic screen which gives the following information on my 400t:

Software Version 2.30

AVR Version 37

GPS Version 260

GO$Rs

Duh, the DIAGNOSTIC SCREEN!! Lets see...

Software Version 2.3

AVR Version 37

GPS Version 260

Well, it reads the same. Would a chipset version be identifiable in these numbers?

I have seen the same thing with my 400t, the barometer not recording when the alarm is set.

Two other things I've notice at the same time:

The unit seems to wake up at various times during the night. I've seen flashes of light coming from the unit.

The unit also appears to be "on" even though it is turned off. My battery level was considerably lower this morning although I placed fresh batteries in the unit 4 - 6 hours before turning the unit off for the night.

I have seen the same thing with my 400t, the barometer not recording when the alarm is set.

Two other things I've notice at the same time:

The unit seems to wake up at various times during the night. I've seen flashes of light coming from the unit.

The unit also appears to be "on" even though it is turned off. My battery level was considerably lower this morning although I placed fresh batteries in the unit 4 - 6 hours before turning the unit off for the night.

Ahhh LifeOnEdge, Thank You! I'm not crazy after all!!!! I'll have to cancel the appointment with my phsycotherapist.

I see these wierd flashes of light coming from my unit when it's turned off and YES I notice too that the battery has drained quite a bit over night (if its not logging data and the alarm is not on, then what the heck is going on?).

Watch your unit in a dark room for about 15 minutes, I have noticed the flashing close to 15 minutes after shutdown and then randomly thereafter. LifeOnEdge, please call Garmin Tech Support and log your findings so we can build a concensus with them so they don't just dismiss this unit behavior.

The last 5 digits of my unit serial # are 02798. LifeOnEdge, can you check your unit serial. If its a later model it may have the "TYPE M" chipset which would explain the flashes of light and the non-logging of barometer data. You may want to check too see if the data logs even with the alarm off. Mine doesn't regardless of alarm setting.

Man, where do we go now? Do we start seperate threads to list problems unique to the "TYPE M"? :rolleyes:

I hate to say it but 3Hawks is right in a post on another thread. The general consumer will be snatching these things left and right up pretty soon and if they are all going to get the later "TYPE M" units, Garmin may have the tiger by the tail on this one.

Edited by yogazoo

I have a 400t with a serial number in the 12XX range. Last night I set the barometer to always on and fixed elevation to see what it would collect over night.

When I first looked at plot of pressure over time this morning it was very strange. I calibrated it to 1010mb when I went to bed last night and when I turned it back on this morning it was back at about 1008mb. I could see both points on the graph. However, in between it just looked like a linear slope from 1010mb all the way down to zero and then jumped up to 1008mb when I turned it on this morning.

A few minutes later I quit back out of the elevation plot, jumped back in and saw something completely different (no changes in settings changes or anything). Now the graph looks much cleaner with a near linear pressure plot from last night down to this morning. The change is about 2mb from 1015 to 1013. As I scroll across the night the cursor jumps to different times like maybe there are data points. It looks a little too clean to me, but the pressure wasn't changing much last night and sampling might make the line look a little more linear than it would normally. I think I'm going to have to run it a little more to see if it is really collecting anything or not.

I can't explain why I the change in plot and the pressure values. I'm not sure what would cause this.

GO$Rs

A little more research revealed something that I didn't understand.

There are two pressure related plots on the CO, ambient pressure (the reading from the sensor) and the barometer (estimated pressure normalized to sea level). At least based on Garmin's description for other GPSs I'm assuming that is what each plot is trying to show.

On my 400t both plots overnight seem very linear, although they are in different directions.

This would suggest that my unit is probably not collecting when off and I still can't explain the strange plot I saw when I first looked this morning.

One more issue. When I Reset the Elevation data I still see the past elevation and pressure information.

GO$Rs