Good Wristwatch GPS?

A.T.Hiker

Hi-

I was wondering if anyone has experience with wristwatch GPS's. I'm getting a bit tired of carrying around the bulk of the 60Cx while hiking / biking/ kyacking. I was reading about the forerunner 205 from Garmin. I like the high sensitivity reciever and the compact design. My concern is the rechargeable battery. Can you carry an extra? Also, will it interface with garmin mapsource for later downloading of trackpoints?

Thanks,

Paul

I have a 205 which I use primarily for running, although I have used it quite successfully to find a few caches along the way. I have used it in the woods and have had no problem with it losing satellite reception. I also have a CSx which is my primary GPS. The 205 has a much smaller B&W screen which is not nearly as nice to work with as a full sized color GPS, but yes, it is compact and easily carried. The small buttons are a bit stiff on mine and it his harder to navigate around the menus for navigating to caches as it is primarily designed for running/biking, etc.

It will work with Mapsource. The rechargable battery is internal so when it goes dead you are out of luck, although I have never had it go dead on me. I download my run when I get home and it recharges through the USB, then I unplug it. I would think it would last for a day O.K. but haven't tried it for longer.

I have no complaints about mine, but wouldn't want to have it for my only GPS. Hope this helps.

I was wondering if anyone has experience with wristwatch GPS's.

I bought the older ForeTrex 201 off eBay NIB for $70 and I have really enjoyed it. I use it in the normal wrist configuration, but also got a handlebar mount for it and use it on my mountain bike and motorbike as well. Since it is low mass and low in profile I don't worry about it getting damaged when I throw either bike down a trail sideways.

I run the unit in Battery Saver mode and have not run it out of juice yet on my day trips. EasyGPS talks to it quite nicely (though the 201 is serial).

Hi-

I was wondering if anyone has experience with wristwatch GPS's. I'm getting a bit tired of carrying around the bulk of the 60Cx while hiking / biking/ kyacking. I was reading about the forerunner 205 from Garmin. I like the high sensitivity reciever and the compact design. My concern is the rechargeable battery. Can you carry an extra? Also, will it interface with garmin mapsource for later downloading of trackpoints?

Thanks,

Paul

If you can find one of the Foretrex 101 units, I think it's the same as the 201 in features but what I like about it is it takes two AAA batteries. I think Garmin's specs is 15 hours on a set of batteries. I have ran mine for 12 hours on rechargeable hybrid batteries without it shutting down.

I too have used a 101 in the Army, and it worked extremely well for what I needed it for. As far as finding caches, I let my nephew use it now, and seems fairly accurate. I kind of wished I had the AA model, only so I would only carry one type of battery, instead of 2. The software is the same on both though.