Is this a good deal for a 500LE?

Oops, I see I posted this after your auction ended. But I'll comment anyway...

If you're an eBay member, log in and use Advanced Search. Search for the exact same item but select "Completed items only." This give an idea of what the item has been selling for lately.

By that measure, $140 Canadian, shipped, is an okay price. A few have gone for less, but 140-150 plus shipping is pretty normal eBay pricing.

So, did you buy it?

Edited by lee_rimar

Oops, I see I posted this after your auction ended. But I'll comment anyway...

If you're an eBay member, log in and use Advanced Search. Search for the exact same item but select "Completed items only." This give an idea of what the item has been selling for lately.

By that measure, $140 Canadian, shipped, is an okay price. A few have gone for less, but 140-150 plus shipping is pretty normal eBay pricing.

So, did you buy it?

No - they are up all the time. I was hoping that people with experience with the unit would give me an idea of the value. Thanks for your input!

I have had 500LE for a little more than a year. I like the capabilities of the unit - SD card holds all the maps you want and as many geocaches (200 per file) that you can load on it. Works great with GSAK program. I do believe that its accuracy is only OK. All that means is you end up going in a circle a little more than the other guys. Try to get one with the rechargeable lithiumIon battery pack. All day+ is no issue with battery pack. (It eats standard alkaline AAAs alive, 2-3 hrs.) If you are going to use as a car/road tool, it is very difficult to enter addresses as an end point.

With all that said, I am considering an upgrade to Garmin 60Csx, but that $300+. Wish I had an active compass and a little more accuray. Wait for a good deal, they are out there.

I have had 500LE for a little more than a year. I like the capabilities of the unit - SD card holds all the maps you want and as many geocaches (200 per file) that you can load on it. Works great with GSAK program. I do believe that its accuracy is only OK. All that means is you end up going in a circle a little more than the other guys. Try to get one with the rechargeable lithiumIon battery pack. All day+ is no issue with battery pack. (It eats standard alkaline AAAs alive, 2-3 hrs.) If you are going to use as a car/road tool, it is very difficult to enter addresses as an end point.

With all that said, I am considering an upgrade to Garmin 60Csx, but that $300+. Wish I had an active compass and a little more accuray. Wait for a good deal, they are out there.

I find this odd and completely opposite of my experiences! I find that my 500LE gets reception very fast, and keeps it through even the thickest coverage (I turned mine on when in the Lowe's store. I needed batteries and, in my rush to check out the unit, forgot to buy them. The unit locked on reception almost instantly right out of the box...inside the store while standing in line to pay for the batteries). My experiences with every Garmin I've used (Legend and Etrex) pales considerably...my Legend loses signal in my car as well as under tree coverage (and it's winter time....hmmmm).

My accuracy is AWESOME! Most times, I find the cache before the Legend does (we've been out using both together), and when out caching with groups, my Maggie seems more accurate than the others including Lowrance and Garmin. I've often found the cache within 3' to 8" from where my Maggie says it is!! In Vegas, it was spot on continually!

The battery thing is dead on....this puppy loves battery. BUT, you can get a Li Ion for very cheap off ebay or from the retailers. Buy a car charger and you are good to go all day every day...I've never run out of battery life after getting the Li Ion!!

Entering addy....well, that's fairly simple just by using the maps and marking the destination, but I'm only using the Topo maps. I think you'd likely do better with the routing map software if this worries you! Either software is easily available!

All in all, I LOVE my Maggie, glad I could get a replacement for my stolen one!! I've owned a Maggie for over a year now and would only likely replace it with the Garmin Colorado or the new Maggies that came out recently...both of which are in the $500+ range!!