What to do with someone elses logs?

va griz

I'm fairly new at this, but can see it isn't uncommon to find cache's with full or unuseable logs. I have added a new log sheet to one when there was room, but my question though is about micros. Assuming you had a new log of the right size, what do you do with the old full log when there is no room for it in the cache?

The only time I've had an experience like this was a micro cache where the log was really wet. I cleaned out the cache, took the wet log and left a new sheet. I put in the logs that I had the old log and would get it to the owner. The owner sent her address to me and I mailed it back but I was familiar with the owner.

The other thing you can do is just leave it. (Try to find a corner or some space to put your initials if you want.) Then put in your post about the full log. I would also e-mail the owner as well.

Many cachers consider the log "sacred" and removing it without making it available to the owner would be a major sacrilege. But then cachers that actually care about their log books would probably have already replaced the log before it got overfilled.

Personally, I would just send the owner an email that the log is full, wet, whatever and sign in a corner or simply state that you could not sign.

If you do decide to take the old log out, be sure to email the owner and ask what they would like you to do with it. The follow through with their wishes. If they don't respond, keep it a reasonable time (month or two) then do as you wish with it (file 13 perhaps).