Print GeoCache maps

HopsMaltYeast

Most Google, Yahoo, MapQuest, etc maps you find on the InterWeb have a button you can click for "Printer Friendly". When you use that function you get a pretty detailed printing with just the map as you see it on the screen without all the website stuff that shows around the map.

In planning my caching trips I often click on a cache site of interest and then click on the map lower down on the page. Then I might expand the map a bit to see more cache locations in the search area. The map has icons for the type caches in their locations and has smiley face icons for caches I have found.

But, there is no "print" or "printer friendly" version buttons. If I just do "print page" I get a pretty useless printing showing the page with a very small map that has no detail.

So, I have been going to a separate map page to print a detailed map of my area of interest - that obviously has no GeoCache symbols on it. Then I manually place X's in the printed map as accurately as I can with a pencil while looking at the GeoCache Google map.

Is there a way to just print a detailed GeoCache map with the symbols the way I see it online?

Thanks in Advance.

Most Google, Yahoo, MapQuest, etc maps you find on the InterWeb have a button you can click for "Printer Friendly". When you use that function you get a pretty detailed printing with just the map as you see it on the screen without all the website stuff that shows around the map.

In planning my caching trips I often click on a cache site of interest and then click on the map lower down on the page. Then I might expand the map a bit to see more cache locations in the search area. The map has icons for the type caches in their locations and has smiley face icons for caches I have found.

But, there is no "print" or "printer friendly" version buttons. If I just do "print page" I get a pretty useless printing showing the page with a very small map that has no detail.

So, I have been going to a separate map page to print a detailed map of my area of interest - that obviously has no GeoCache symbols on it. Then I manually place X's in the printed map as accurately as I can with a pencil while looking at the GeoCache Google map.

Is there a way to just print a detailed GeoCache map with the symbols the way I see it online?

Thanks in Advance.

A lot of people (like me) use Mapsource to do this job.

When I print a map from the website I do the following:

1) go to file - page set up, and from here I change the page to landscape view.

2) I then collapse the bar on the map to remove the word listing and just show the map and icons.

3) perform a print preview to see if want I want is fitting. If it doesn't fit I go to the box with the words "shrink to fit" on the tool bar and play with different sizes to see if I get what I want.

4) Once I get the image I want, I select pages 1 to print only one page, because printing selecting all might print a couple of pages. The first is the map and the second is just stuff.

This is how I do it. Not the easist way but it works for me...

I'm not sure if this helps you but, when I can't go paperless (I use my cell phone and WAP but some areas don't have reception) I will go to the cache's page. then hit the printer-friendly on that page. Then I can still change the zoom range on the map so it shows some of the local streets. Instead of just printing it there, I usually cut and paste into word so I can edit a little so everything fits on one page. then print.

I've never tried printing out the main geocaching maps. If I wanted to print what I was looking at on the screen, I guess I would "shift-print screen". then go to paint and "paste". then cut and repaste the part of the image I wish to print, to get the ads out and such, and presto.

When I print a map from the website I do the following:

1) go to file - page set up, and from here I change the page to landscape view.

2) I then collapse the bar on the map to remove the word listing and just show the map and icons.

This is how I do it. Not the easist way but it works for me...

Thanks everyone for the tips - steps 1 & 2 above were especially helpful - Thanks

How do you "collapse the bar on the map to remove word listing"? I know I should probably know this, but I can't seem to figure it out. Thanks!

On the map, to the right and in the middle is a bar with a "right" arrow in it. Click on it and the cache listings on the right-hand side disappear and the map gets larger.