Delorme Earthmate PN-20 Impressions

anethema

This is a VERY preliminary report of my new PN-20. The only other GPS I've owned is a 60c by Garmin, so most comparisons will be made against that.

Disclaimer: I don't geocache so I don't know which features would be important to a geocacher. The GPS is, for me, primarily a mapping tool to navigate while I hike, skidoo, and dirtbike.

Hardware: The PN-20 feels good in my hand and seems a bit easier to operate one handed because of the bit girthier bottom as compared to my 60c. The buttons, I think, are MUCH better, more tactile etc than the 60c, even though they look cheaper.

The startup is a bit slower than a 60c, but not by much. It then goes right into the sat screen just like the 60c. The initial lock is MUCH faster, and signals much stronger than my 60c, and is more comparable to my friend's 60csx.

The display (2.2") is smaller than my 60c (2.6"), but I can only really tell if I compare them side by side. The resolution is a bit higher with a quite a bit higher pixel density. The PN-20 is 220 x 176(38720 pixels) and the 60c is 240x160(38400 pixels). So a bit more pixels into the slightly smaller screen makes for a display that does look quite a bit less pixelated (sharper).

I have basically, at this point, pulled it out of it's package and played with it. I put some aerial imagery on it and tested it out, but since I am in canada, I cant do most of the stuff I plan to do. I did, however, add about $30 worth of aerial imagery to poke around in Oroville, Wa, just a couple hours south of my location.

Here are a couple screens:

2212861725_2949820e4e_o.png

And zoomed in a bit:

2213656602_ccea24b904_o.png

Looks very good, and should help me navigate anywhere I plan to go once I can get my own images on.

The redraw times for non image maps is pretty good, but not as good as my 60c. The redraw for aerial images, especially the initial draw, can be quite slow.

The software to load stuff onto the PN-20 is quite a bit different than mapsource. It seems much more powerful, but does take some getting used to. It still only took me maybe 5 minutes of 'figuring out' before I was able to download maps and aerial imagery to the PN-20, so after a bit of learning it could be quite a program. Since I will be using X-map and not topo USA in the near future this really means not a whole lot to me, but I'm told X-map is similar so much of it should transfer over.

It is also pretty neet the way you take screenshots. You just add a 'screenshots' folder to the SD card, and now when you press the power button briefly, it takes a screenshot and puts it there! Just rename the folder to something else to remove this.

In the hour or so I've played with it, the MAIN cons I see are (this is a big one) proprietary use cable. I can't stress this enough, the fact that they did this is just beyond reason for me. If I lose this cable I have NO way to update the device or use it with any software. I can still put maps on the SD card etc, but this doesnt alleviate the other problems it would cause. I would then be at Delorme's mercy for another. If they were out of stock or out of business I would be screwed. There is no reason I can think of that would justify not having a mini-usb on there.

Some minor ones from here are: SD card under the batteries. Since pretty much all map transfers involve removing the SD card, They really should have considered a slot on the side with a waterproof plug. The batt cover screws arent half turn type like garmin, they are like 10 turns to close it, and there are two of them. Then I have to pull the batteries (powering off the device) and remove the card. If it were my design, it would be 2x half turn tightener screws (like on the back of the garmin, but 2 of them (mm redundancy), and the SD card would be in the side under a rubber plug.

The other one I consider minor but many would consider major is the slow updating of the screen. It actually updates once every 1-2 seconds, but it is the redraws that are slow. I switched the map to north up and now it only redraws once you aproach the end of the screen. I will be using my 60c for car navigation untill i get a Nuvi 200W and my PN-20 will be my trail-only GPS so the screen draw does not affect me for fast moving road use. I find it acceptable but mildly annoying. This is another thing that would have been easily fixed with a faster processor.

NONE of these for me is a deal breaker. The USB cable thing is annoying, but even if I lost it, I would have a perfectly functioning GPS. The batt cover and SD card thing are just minor gripes that I wanted to mention, but are not really that big a deal. So far I am very happy with it for what I've done so far.

I will post more details about X-map and custom aerial imagery once I get that going. It will probably be when I come back from Mexico Feb 17 since I don't think I will get X-map in time for my departure.

That about it for my first hour with the PN-20, if anyone has any questions, let me know!

PS..I see now looking back that half of my body of text was dedicated to the CONs but it really was a MUCH more positive experience than negative. So far it is really a fantastic little device.

In the hour or so I've played with it, the MAIN cons I see are (this is a big one) proprietary use cable.

I just got my PN-20 on Monday. It is the first GPSr that I've either used or owned.

When, during the unpacking, I came across the USB cable, my first reaction was, "what in the world is this doo-dad?" I'd never seen anything like it before. As I was considering why in the world this thing was made the way it is, the waterproof issue occurred to me. I figured that maybe even with a tight-fitting plug, having a USB port on the unit wouldn't allow it to meet the waterproof specifications.

I've been assuming (since I've never before had a piece of waterproof electronics) that this USB configuration was some kind of standard for waterproof electronics. I guess I was incorrect on that count.

This is a VERY preliminary report of my new PN-20. The only other GPS I've owned is a 60c by Garmin, so most comparisons will be made against that.

Disclaimer: I don't geocache so I don't know which features would be important to a geocacher. The GPS is, for me, primarily a mapping tool to navigate while I hike, skidoo, and dirtbike.

Hardware: The PN-20 feels good in my hand and seems a bit easier to operate one handed because of the bit girthier bottom as compared to my 60c. The buttons, I think, are MUCH better, more tactile etc than the 60c, even though they look cheaper.

The startup is a bit slower than a 60c, but not by much. It then goes right into the sat screen just like the 60c. The initial lock is MUCH faster, and signals much stronger than my 60c, and is more comparable to my friend's 60csx.

The display (2.2") is smaller than my 60c (2.6"), but I can only really tell if I compare them side by side. The resolution is a bit higher with a quite a bit higher pixel density. The PN-20 is 220 x 176(38720 pixels) and the 60c is 240x160(38400 pixels). So a bit more pixels into the slightly smaller screen makes for a display that does look quite a bit less pixelated (sharper).

I have basically, at this point, pulled it out of it's package and played with it. I put some aerial imagery on it and tested it out, but since I am in canada, I cant do most of the stuff I plan to do. I did, however, add about $30 worth of aerial imagery to poke around in Oroville, Wa, just a couple hours south of my location.

Here are a couple screens:

2212861725_2949820e4e_o.png

And zoomed in a bit:

2213656602_ccea24b904_o.png

Looks very good, and should help me navigate anywhere I plan to go once I can get my own images on.

The redraw times for non image maps is pretty good, but not as good as my 60c. The redraw for aerial images, especially the initial draw, can be quite slow.

The software to load stuff onto the PN-20 is quite a bit different than mapsource. It seems much more powerful, but does take some getting used to. It still only took me maybe 5 minutes of 'figuring out' before I was able to download maps and aerial imagery to the PN-20, so after a bit of learning it could be quite a program. Since I will be using X-map and not topo USA in the near future this really means not a whole lot to me, but I'm told X-map is similar so much of it should transfer over.

It is also pretty neet the way you take screenshots. You just add a 'screenshots' folder to the SD card, and now when you press the power button briefly, it takes a screenshot and puts it there! Just rename the folder to something else to remove this.

In the hour or so I've played with it, the MAIN cons I see are (this is a big one) proprietary use cable. I can't stress this enough, the fact that they did this is just beyond reason for me. If I lose this cable I have NO way to update the device or use it with any software. I can still put maps on the SD card etc, but this doesnt alleviate the other problems it would cause. I would then be at Delorme's mercy for another. If they were out of stock or out of business I would be screwed. There is no reason I can think of that would justify not having a mini-usb on there.

Some minor ones from here are: SD card under the batteries. Since pretty much all map transfers involve removing the SD card, They really should have considered a slot on the side with a waterproof plug. The batt cover screws arent half turn type like garmin, they are like 10 turns to close it, and there are two of them. Then I have to pull the batteries (powering off the device) and remove the card. If it were my design, it would be 2x half turn tightener screws (like on the back of the garmin, but 2 of them (mm redundancy), and the SD card would be in the side under a rubber plug.

The other one I consider minor but many would consider major is the slow updating of the screen. It actually updates once every 1-2 seconds, but it is the redraws that are slow. I switched the map to north up and now it only redraws once you aproach the end of the screen. I will be using my 60c for car navigation untill i get a Nuvi 200W and my PN-20 will be my trail-only GPS so the screen draw does not affect me for fast moving road use. I find it acceptable but mildly annoying. This is another thing that would have been easily fixed with a faster processor.

NONE of these for me is a deal breaker. The USB cable thing is annoying, but even if I lost it, I would have a perfectly functioning GPS. The batt cover and SD card thing are just minor gripes that I wanted to mention, but are not really that big a deal. So far I am very happy with it for what I've done so far.

I will post more details about X-map and custom aerial imagery once I get that going. It will probably be when I come back from Mexico Feb 17 since I don't think I will get X-map in time for my departure.

That about it for my first hour with the PN-20, if anyone has any questions, let me know!

PS..I see now looking back that half of my body of text was dedicated to the CONs but it really was a MUCH more positive experience than negative. So far it is really a fantastic little device.

I'm kinda' guessing here but:

1. If you get the car kit, it has a cable with std USB at the cigarette lighter adapter end and mini USB at the PN-20 adapter end, which adapter is an elbow with mini-USB to that 8 pin. So the cabling, overall, is not devoid of mini USB, FWIW. But I'm guessing that the 8 pin has to do with the water tightness. Maybe USB jacks are water tight?

2. For faster transfers to the SD card, take the card out and use a separate card reader, or

3. Go to Menu - Device Setup - interface and then select Mass Storage: SD/MMC Card, and then you can either transfer through the Topo 7 Handheld Exchange as you would for a transfer to the internal storage, or and better yet: notice in the My Computer that it is now showing up as a "Removable Disk (?:D" and you can drag and drop to it as with any jump drive. DON'T forget to reset the Interface to DeLorme when done with transfer!

OK, I done for a bit but I'll also be at the DeLorme forums now and then and the others there are very helpful! :huh: They'll have your list of CONS dispensed with by this time tomorrow! :D

Good Luck!

I put that adapter on and for the most part I leave it there--even when I take it out in the field. So it feels to me like it takes a standard USB cable. But I take your point, anethema.

One of the things that bugs me a little bit (in line with your observation that the card is not placed very conveniently) is that the rechargeable Li-ion battery is a tight fit to get in and out (it seems to be just a little larger than AAs). So that makes getting the card out for file transfers that much more difficult. In my use, I don't have to do that very often...once I get my preferred maps on, I'm pretty well set.

Nice report! I hope it works out ok for you.

I understand it made for an easier time of waterproofing but the 60c and 60csx etc are considered waterproof and just use a plug to cover the USB slot.

I am right now using the external card reader for the SD which is why i complained about the location of the slot, but its not so bad. I'm hoping I get xmap soon so I can really play though.

Thanks for your advice!

I'm kinda' guessing here but:

1. If you get the car kit, it has a cable with std USB at the cigarette lighter adapter end and mini USB at the PN-20 adapter end, which adapter is an elbow with mini-USB to that 8 pin. So the cabling, overall, is not devoid of mini USB, FWIW. But I'm guessing that the 8 pin has to do with the water tightness. Maybe USB jacks are water tight?

2. For faster transfers to the SD card, take the card out and use a separate card reader, or

3. Go to Menu - Device Setup - interface and then select Mass Storage: SD/MMC Card, and then you can either transfer through the Topo 7 Handheld Exchange as you would for a transfer to the internal storage, or and better yet: notice in the My Computer that it is now showing up as a "Removable Disk (?:yikes:" and you can drag and drop to it as with any jump drive. DON'T forget to reset the Interface to DeLorme when done with transfer!

OK, I done for a bit but I'll also be at the DeLorme forums now and then and the others there are very helpful! :yikes: They'll have your list of CONS dispensed with by this time tomorrow! :grin:

Good Luck!

I did not get an adapter :yikes: maybe I should get one from delorme.

I dont have a LiIon battery either but dont really want one. I like the secuity of the fact that No matter what if it is dead I can use AA's. I have lots of those new hybrid rechargables anyways so the life is pretty good.

I will probably be switching maps more often since mine will all be raster based imagery and topos. Unless I can make enough vector topos in my 45 day trial of xmap editor to do me.

So far so good though, I really like it, cant wait to get my areas on there.

I put that adapter on and for the most part I leave it there--even when I take it out in the field. So it feels to me like it takes a standard USB cable. But I take your point, anethema.

One of the things that bugs me a little bit (in line with your observation that the card is not placed very conveniently) is that the rechargeable Li-ion battery is a tight fit to get in and out (it seems to be just a little larger than AAs). So that makes getting the card out for file transfers that much more difficult. In my use, I don't have to do that very often...once I get my preferred maps on, I'm pretty well set.

Nice report! I hope it works out ok for you.

It's probably a big factor that I don't need to take the card out often that the rechargeable Li-ion works so well for me. If I were pulling the card, I think I'd stick with NiMHs, too.

If you ever decide to go rechargeable Li-Ion, a standard CR-V3 pack fits in. Delorme recommends the one they sell because they've calibrated the firmware to the discharge curve of that particular battery to give optimally accurate power remaining readings.

I appreciate the power options of this thing...seems like they give us the best of all battery worlds.

Yeah, XMap editor evaluation is on its way right now, Ill see what all the fuss is about. I bought the pro version anyways just to make sure I have SOMETHING. Good deal for $99.

Cant wait to see what I can do.

It's probably a big factor that I don't need to take the card out often that the rechargeable Li-ion works so well for me. If I were pulling the card, I think I'd stick with NiMHs, too.

If you ever decide to go rechargeable Li-Ion, a standard CR-V3 pack fits in. Delorme recommends the one they sell because they've calibrated the firmware to the discharge curve of that particular battery to give optimally accurate power remaining readings.

I appreciate the power options of this thing...seems like they give us the best of all battery worlds.

I have found that after numerous removals/replacements of the Li-Ion, it has become a much easier fit...Initially, it was a very tight fit, but now is much easier to remove. I have multiple SD cards with different clusters of states or parts of states and when I travel, I just swap SD cards as I move from one area to another, thus my rechargable has been moved around more often than many other's batteries.

I have multiple SD cards with different clusters of states or parts of states and when I travel, I just swap SD cards as I move from one area to another, thus my rechargable has been moved around more often than many other's batteries.

With the current cheapness of small SD cards I am certainly considering this as well. Seems like an easier way, but since I have to make all my maps from scratch anyways, we'll see how well this works out.