Help! Loading caches (wapoints) into Magellan Topo

Maybe I'm too lame or too lazy to figure it out, but I need help!

I have been able to create pocket queries, load them into Magellan cache manager, and then download them to my Magellan Xplorer GPS. What I CAN'T figure out how to do is to load them into my Topo USA software so that I can view them on the 3-d map on my pc.

When I try to use the magellan conversion manager to convert them into the required Magellan format, they are not "convertible" (i.e. not the right file type).

Can anyone give me simple instructions for this?

Thanks a million!

Hi Westbrooks,

The simple way to do it is to transfer the points directly from the GPSr into Topo USA. These instructions are for Topo USA 7.0. If you have an older version the instructions are very similar, but ask if you get confused.

Open the "exchange wizard" in the software and connect the GPS to the computer.

Click "select device" and choose GPS.

Click "device settings" and choose Magellan(w/wpt) from the dropdown menu.

Select the correct Com port or USB from the "Com port" dropdown menu.

Click OK.

Check the circle next to "recieve from device"

From the "object type" dropdown choose "waypoints"

Click Next.

Name your new waypoint file.

Choose your waypoint symbol (the default is for whatever the last symbol you used in Topo USA. If you choose the symbol you want from the Draw Tab before doing the exchange it will help.).

Click "Recieve from Device" NOT "Finish"

After the exchange is complete, click "Finish"

I hope this helps! :lol:

-Brian

Thanks Brian, it helps tremendously, but I'm already stuck. The problem I'm having is that I can't get past the comm settings. When I choose gps options, it defaults to COM3, and when I try to autodetect, it says that it failed to detect a gps receiver. Now this is stupid, because as soon as I plugged the gps into the usb port, windows detected it and installed the appropriate driver from the Magellan software.

The GPS settings screen doesn't give me a drop down to select a usb port, it's like it's assuming I'm going to use com3, and won't give me any other option. Pretty stupid, considering the machine only came with a usb cable!

Thanks Brian, it helps tremendously, but I'm already stuck. The problem I'm having is that I can't get past the comm settings. When I choose gps options, it defaults to COM3, and when I try to autodetect, it says that it failed to detect a gps receiver. Now this is stupid, because as soon as I plugged the gps into the usb port, windows detected it and installed the appropriate driver from the Magellan software.

The GPS settings screen doesn't give me a drop down to select a usb port, it's like it's assuming I'm going to use com3, and won't give me any other option. Pretty stupid, considering the machine only came with a usb cable!

Each USB port is assigned a "com" port number...just like older serial and parallel ports. So Com 3 could be a USB port somewhere. I had the same problem with mapsend topo (the old version) my front panel USB ports were com 10 and 11...while my rear ports were 3 and 4. My Mapsend only let me use com 1-4....I changed my port number assignments through control panel. My laptop is the same way. One USB port is com 4, and then other 2 are like com 8 and 9, so I have to use the same usb hole every time.

Heres how you check in XP - plug in your GPS. Go to control panel, system, hardware, and click device manager. go down to ports and click the + to expand the menu. You should see one entry saying something like "Magellan GPS (comX)" or whatever windows calls it. For mine, it says "Prolific USB to Serial Comm (COM4)". Prolific is the company that made my cable.

If you arent sure which it is, like if you have a bunch of USB stuff plugged in, pull the GPS cord out of the PC and see which item disappears. Plug it back in to confirm. Try several different usb holes to see which MIGHT be Com 3, or another port you can use.

Now here is where you can really do some damage: Lets say you have to use com 1-4, and your USB port is com 12. Right click on the gps' port, and hit "properties". Go to "port settings" and hit "advanced". You can CHANGE the port number of that particular USB "hole". Two holes cant have the same port number... and it will warn you to this. What I did was change two ports, so the one on the rear of the PC is now COM12, and the one on the front is COM4, so I can use my serial-usb without having to do a reach-around on my PC every time.

If I remeber correctly...if you assign two ports the same number, whatever gets plugged in first will work, while the other one will not. You COULD assign a couple the same number, as long as you only use one at a time. Dont mess with your keyboard and mouse ports though... leave those alone.

Each USB port is assigned a "com" port number...just like older serial and parallel ports. So Com 3 could be a USB port somewhere. I had the same problem with mapsend topo (the old version) my front panel USB ports were com 10 and 11...while my rear ports were 3 and 4. My Mapsend only let me use com 1-4....I changed my port number assignments through control panel. My laptop is the same way. One USB port is com 4, and then other 2 are like com 8 and 9, so I have to use the same usb hole every time.

Heres how you check in XP - plug in your GPS. Go to control panel, system, hardware, and click device manager. go down to ports and click the + to expand the menu. You should see one entry saying something like "Magellan GPS (comX)" or whatever windows calls it. For mine, it says "Prolific USB to Serial Comm (COM4)". Prolific is the company that made my cable.

If you arent sure which it is, like if you have a bunch of USB stuff plugged in, pull the GPS cord out of the PC and see which item disappears. Plug it back in to confirm. Try several different usb holes to see which MIGHT be Com 3, or another port you can use.

Now here is where you can really do some damage: Lets say you have to use com 1-4, and your USB port is com 12. Right click on the gps' port, and hit "properties". Go to "port settings" and hit "advanced". You can CHANGE the port number of that particular USB "hole". Two holes cant have the same port number... and it will warn you to this. What I did was change two ports, so the one on the rear of the PC is now COM12, and the one on the front is COM4, so I can use my serial-usb without having to do a reach-around on my PC every time.

If I remeber correctly...if you assign two ports the same number, whatever gets plugged in first will work, while the other one will not. You COULD assign a couple the same number, as long as you only use one at a time. Dont mess with your keyboard and mouse ports though... leave those alone.

Argh, my device manager doesn't show any ports. I tried this on my pc to see what it SHOULD look like, and the ports show up no problem, so there must be something wrong with my laptop. I've tried installing every driver I can find on the Toshiba website, but nothing has worked so far...I guess I'll have to break down and take it to the local pc pros. Thanks for all the help!