Mileage question

Pirates of Tuskegee

I have just gotten a geocoin for a FTF prize. I have activated it and I want to start it's journey here in Atlanta. Can I drop and then imediately retrieve it to start the mileage ticker? I am travling to NC and i might drop the coin there.

What is the "correct" way to do this?

Yes, if you want the mileage to start in Atlanta, so your trip to NC shows up, drop the coin in a cache in Atlanta, then pick it back up. Then just make sure you log it into at least one cache in NC, and another in Atlanta when you get back, if you bring it home with you.

Yes

Customarily, you would only drop it into a cache that you own or one that you find. You should try to drop it only when you write your normal 'Found it' note, so that the cache listing doesn't get cluttered up with a posted note that only says "coin drop for mileage".

Then, right after you finish your 'Found It' log for that cache, go over to the coin's travel bug page and 'Retrieve from <xyz> cache'. After a while, you'll have memorized your coin's tracking number. [:lol:]

But it happens sometimes that you want to go back and log a coin through caches you found previously and forgot to select the coin from your inventory when you were writing your Found It log. In that case, do just use the 'Write a Note' log type and put the coin into the cache that way. Then go to the coin page and retrieve it. Be sure to go back to the original cache listing and delete your 'Write a Note' log so that everyone else in the future doesn't have to see your drop. Deleting the note from the cache does not affect the coin's mileage -- you can still see that the coin went into the cache from the coin's travel bug listing page.

Make sense?

Customarily, you would only drop it into a cache that you own or one that you find. You should try to drop it only when you write your normal 'Found it' note, so that the cache listing doesn't get cluttered up with a posted note that only says "coin drop for mileage".

Then, right after you finish your 'Found It' log for that cache, go over to the coin's travel bug page and 'Retrieve from <xyz> cache'. After a while, you'll have memorized your coin's tracking number. [:lol:]

But it happens sometimes that you want to go back and log a coin through caches you found previously and forgot to select the coin from your inventory when you were writing your Found It log. In that case, do just use the 'Write a Note' log type and put the coin into the cache that way. Then go to the coin page and retrieve it. Be sure to go back to the original cache listing and delete your 'Write a Note' log so that everyone else in the future doesn't have to see your drop. Deleting the note from the cache does not affect the coin's mileage -- you can still see that the coin went into the cache from the coin's travel bug listing page.

Make sense?

Yes, very much. Thank you