Garmin MAP60 CSx and OS X (Mac)

BlindSight

I have been a GeoCacher for a couple of years now and I was even using GPS units before that, so when I purchased the Garmin 60CSx, I had to post on its performance and how it is working out. Up until this point, I had mainly been using a Magellan Gold with the occasional use of my father's Magellan Platinum (which is basically the same with a couple more features). Along with this, I had been playing around with a couple of other units as well, including the GPS stuff on the new mobile phones. The main phone being a Samsung Blackjack with a hacked GPS program.

My main deal for this post is the 60CSx. I had to post on this as there is a lot of flack out there over Garmin saying that they were going to produce Mac software, but has yet to produce anything efficient for that purpose. What they did in response to that was to allow open source on the programming, allowing programmers to produce software for this purpose. I came across a program called "LoadMyTracks", which has been working extremely well in communicating between my Mac and the unit. It is even directly allowing files to be used with Google Earth without having to convert files and with really good accuracy.

On the GeoCaching web pages, the "Send to GPS" button has been especially useful with the use of the "Garmin Communicator" program, which is exclusive to Garmin units and is available for Mac and PC and I do highly recommend if you don't want to carry a pack of paper while out GeoCaching. The only bad issue is that the upload to the unit is kinda slow, so I have to allow time to make sure the upload is complete. Just as a note, I am using the USB connection.

The screen is a little small, but I do have to keep in account that my vision is not so great, so people who have good vision would have no problem using this unit. Even despite my vision problems, I am having great success with this unit. I was under heavy tree cover looking for a cache over the weekend. and found that it had no trouble with accuracy. This was even proven when I downloaded the track log to Google Earth. It was dead on.

Over all, I am very impressed with this unit and am still exploring its MANY capabilities.