Wanted Garmin 60CX or 60CSX - used or new

HI i am a student and i have got the geocaching bug!

Also we study GPS's in school this year and i am loking for a 60CS or a 60CSX.

This is because they are simalar to what we will be using at school and also because of the fact of the high sensitivity receiver

It would be great if i can get anything under $310 (AU)(including postage other wise i will need to wait will i have more money).

But $350 is my max i can not afford any higher than that.

I am more than happy with a second hand one as long as it works.

I am not interested im maps unless they are of Australia but the MapSource Trip & Waypoint Manager would be great if they come with working install codes that are not locked to other GPS's or computers

The price will need to include airmail to 7250 Tasmania Australia and in AU currency (if not please convert to AU before posting a comment.

Thanks heaps from Jeremy

Or email me if you want on subaru99wrx@iprimus.com.au

I don't know why you would want the 60CSX if you are on a budget. Unless you really want the buttons to be on the front of the GPS instead of on the side of the GPS. Yes the screen is large on the 60CSX but the Vista has a better screen with I think even more pixels. Otherwise, from what I can see, the Vista HCX and the 60CSX are the same.

Love my 60CSx. I haven't experienced the Vista HCx.

I prefer the rocker switch to the click stick now that I am used to it (I began with a Legend and it's click stick). I got sore spots on my thumb from that click stick.

I like the fact that the 60 CSX has both USB and serial connectivity--our external power source cord for the car is serial and our the computer uses USB (same cord as my digital camera which is extra nice). There have been a couple of times when I was at an event and had forgotten to bring along my cords, but I was still able to use someone's computer to upload info only becuase I could use either type connection.

I've seen the rubber on the other Vista bodies peel off too often in the past (hopefully they have that fixed now!)

The screen is vey easy to navigate while we drive--I'm getting older so that matters. I've heard some folks say the Vista can be turned up "brighter" than the 60, but I keep mine down fairly low anyway--it can get too bright to be able to use otherwise.

It's a snap to switch settings, go to the next page, etc because the buttons are on the front. Sure makes it easy to use one handed while driving or holding the PDA in the other hand. I used to use my Legend two handed, and it's set up like the Vista.

I've never used the external antenna connection, but it's nice to know it's there if I ever do need it.

The Vista HCX has a patch antenna, and the 60 CSX has a quad-helix antenna. I live in an area with lots of tree cover, and the 60 really gets fantastic reception under heavy tree cover.

(Supposedly the patch antenna will do better in canyons than the quad helix (but that's where the external antenna would come in, right?) I don't know if that is true because all the folks I cache with have chosen 60csx over the H models. One guy we cache with tried the Vista HCX for a few days and returned it to the store to get the 60 CSX instead. He claimed he was always the last to find the cache when he was with a group...but I can't swear to that because we didn't go out with him those few days he had the Vista. He may just prefer the way it looks and feels.