2 questions about benchmarks

KvPhoto

Why can't you see the benchmarks on a map like the geocaches?

Unfortunately, Groundspeak has never added that capability to their website. However, if you read this thread, you'll find some ways to view all the marks in a given area.

I found a benchmark at 42nd and 5th Avenue but it is not in the benchmark list. Why?

Read Groundspeak's Benchmark Hunting FAQ for the answer. Meanwhile, if you tell us what city and state you're referring to, we may be able to help you find a local source of survey mark information. What agency name was on the mark?

Patty

Why can't you see the benchmarks on a map like the geocaches?

Unfortunately, Groundspeak has never added that capability to their website. However, if you read this thread, you'll find some ways to view all the marks in a given area.

I found a benchmark at 42nd and 5th Avenue but it is not in the benchmark list. Why?

Read Groundspeak's Benchmark Hunting FAQ for the answer. Meanwhile, if you tell us what city and state you're referring to, we may be able to help you find a local source of survey mark information. What agency name was on the mark?

Patty

Patty

It was on the steps of the NY Public Library. It was a flat disk with no markings on it. I have a picture but have not downloaded it yet off the camera. I will post it later today.

It was noted in a find on another benchmark that was on the base of one of the lions.

Patty

It was on the steps of the NY Public Library. It was a flat disk with no markings on it. I have a picture but have not downloaded it yet off the camera. I will post it later today.

It was noted in a find on another benchmark that was on the base of one of the lions.

I know what that benchmark is:

Look at the entry for the KU1448 "814" (the chiseled "T" on the Lion base) and look down the logs of those who found this to my entry (logged 11/29/2005) you'll see a note I added which describes the mark you found. It's BM #712 of the historic 1909 survey of NYC. No, it's not in the GC or NGS database (a shame) but it is historic and a mark seldom found by anyone - although it's in plain sight. You can log it as a waymark if you want. There's another one at the Library you can also see (it's #813). Of the 3 marks set at or near the Library in 1909: 812, 813, and 814 - only the last made it into the database when they resurveyed the marks in 1956. All 3 are fairly unique and rather cool, but you must admit the chiseled "T" (the one that made it into the database) may be the coolest.

IMHO: the fun is Finding these things. Logging them (or not) is just frosting on the cake. And you found it - congratulations! If this is the first undocumented mark you have found, it won't be the last, but it may be among the best!

Papa Bear

Edited by Papa-Bear-NYC

Patty

I know what that benchmark is look at the entry for the KU1448 "814" (the chiseled "T" on the Lion base) and look down the logs of those who found this to my entry (logged 11/29/2005) you'll see a note I added which describes the mark you found. It's BM #712 of the historic 1909 survey of NYC. No, it's not in the GC or NGS databse (a shame) but it is historic and a mark seldom found by anyone. You can log it as a waymark if you want. There's another one at the Library you can see (it's #813). Of the 3 marks set at or near the Library in 1909: 812, 813, and 814 - only the last made it into the database when they resurveyed the marks in 1956. But you must admit the chiseled "T" is cool.

IMHO: the fun is Finding these things. Logging them (or not) is just frosting on the cake. And you found it - congratulations! If this is the first undocumented mark you have found, it won't be the last, but it may be among the best!

Papa Bear

Papa Bear,

Thanks! I had a friend on the phone who said I should check out the steps, he saw your log on the chisel benchmark.

KVPhoto