Magellan Triton 300 Odometer Issue

Just picked up the Triton 300 last week. So far I haven't loaded any maps onto it other than what came preinstalled. I've checked through the VantagePoint software that both VP and the Triton's Firmware are both up to date.

First Test

I booted up the Triton in the car, waited till I got a signal and then proceeded to drive home. At various points in the drive I would check the stats. Speedo was dead on accurate with the car and even responded quickly to any changes, but something looked funny in the miles. When I got home the odometer in the Triton said the trip was 101 miles. The trip is no more than 40. I powered the unit off and decided it needed more looking into.

Second Test

At the office I hooked the unit up to VP, checked again for any firmware updates and it assured me everything was the latest version. I cleared out any tracks or trails, with the exception of the one Waypoint I created for my office location. I went out, booted the Triton up and let it rest on the dash for at least 30 min for it to get its satellites in order and bearings straight. (Based on other suggestions to let the unit "find itself" and calibrate.)

I set everything to zero and drove home. Again, speedo worked perfect, the track seemed to be dead on (despite it not knowing any major highways in the Washington, DC area). Got home and the car read 38.4 miles and the Triton said 112.6. Something it quite wrong.

Today....

First call to Tech Support

Didn't have to wait on hold for too long, but what ever system they are using to create and retrieve customer service records is awfully slow! I go through the process of creating the customer record. (Interesting side note, I use a PO Box for everything, yet they wouldn't accept it to create a record, they needed a physical address.) I describe the problem and they want me to boot it up and wait for signal. In my office I can't get a single sat connection. They tell me to go outside, boot it up, wait for 10 min and then call them back.

Second call to Tech Support

I get out to the car start up the unit and I see the "Suspend in 1 sec" screen. Hmmm... I hold the power button and it goes to the "Suspend in 5 sec" screen and counts down. At 3 sec I hit the 'select' button to continue and it shuts down. Boot it back up and its stuck that the 3 sec screen. Several ties and I can't get the unit to boot up, so I call tech support.

Once connected to tech support I tell them I'm calling back and they seem to know why, guess the first person at least made a decent record as to the issue. But I tell them there's a second problem that's popped up the we need to fix first.

I'm told to press and hold 'select,' 'esc,' and the power button at the same time for 10 sec and then release. (If you have your Triton nearby go try and you'll see this is not an easy task!) I do that and in a couple seconds the Triton boot screen comes up, I keep holding. The Triton boot screen flashes a few more times and then I let go. Once I let go the unit powers down. (This is the Hard Reset procedure.)

I'm told to boot up the unit and wait for signal. Everything boots just fine, I wait several minutes for it to get a signal. Tech support assistant seems happy and asks if there's anything else I need. I ask about the odometer issue and how can we fix that. I'm told that the procedure we just did fixed the issue and I'm "to be happy to be using the unit just fine now." Ask to reassure again that the reset fixed the issue with the odometer? "Yes, everything is working fine now."

Third Test

After hanging up with tech support I wait a few more minutes and the Triton accurately picked up my location at my office Waypoint. Great! I reset the odometers and go to grab lunch around the corner. I get into the parking lot and the odometer on the car reads exactly 1.0 miles. I pick up the Triton and it says the trip is 3.0 miles!

Third call to Tech Support

"Hello, me again." I tell them what we've done, and the readings I just received. I'm put on hold while she "checks to see what we can do." I wait a minute or two and then she comes back and tells me that my support case has been raised to the "highest level of support and they will be working on the issue." I expect to be transfered but she asks if there's anything else. I say no and ask how will I know if they fix it? Will they call me? Email me? She said they will do both once they address the issue.

So, that's where we are at for the moment. I have another test to do where I've uploaded a nearby GC location. Using GPS coords of both it and my office I know that its exactly 0.4 miles between us. I'll go out later and see if the unit agrees when I boot it up. I'll also walk the path and see what I can tell.

I'm struck that there's a wealth of user feedback on this forum. I wonder if Magellan monitors things here (there was reason to think they did several years back). Seems like Magellan makes it pretty hard to know whether your issue is known and being dealt with.

I'm struck that there's a wealth of user feedback on this forum. I wonder if Magellan monitors things here (there was reason to think they did several years back). Seems like Magellan makes it pretty hard to know whether your issue is known and being dealt with.

Magellan does monitor this forum. They're shy, though. :huh:

Wouldn't you be too, about now?

keep your eyes peeled for updates on the units. I just noticed a recent one for the 2000 and 500 that weren't there a few days ago on the Magellan site. Don't know what they are updating (just got our unit today and hubby had to go in for the night shift. I promised him I'd wait to mess around with it until we could learn it together), but maybe this is the fix *fingers crossed*

You might want to make sure you aren't set for kilometers instead of miles.

No, that's not it (I made a quick erronous calculation). But double check your units anyway; can't hurt.

Forgot to add (from the other thread) that its correctly set for miles/feet. I thought the same thing at first. But its been double and triple checked.