What exactly is "paperless geocaching?

Zooma 4

The key thing is actually instead people are not printing the information page of a (or many) cache(s). Besides of this they are storing all the information on a electronic device. Mostly a PDA, like a Palm, Pocket PC or Smartphone.

Two reason can be:

...Thinking green, geocachers love nature ;-)

...It's practical because you might be caching when ever you want as you always have all information with you.

Regards,

Hans

Until the issues with my Magellan unit are figured out, I'm currently using the software available for Spint/Nextel phones that is perfect for this.

If I'm in an area that I have time to cache, I simply boot it up, as for all the caches around me and I get a list and their distances from my current location. I select one to go after and then can view all the same info that's on the gc.com log page (difficulty/terrain, description, hint, etc) as well as access all the logs.

Worth the $6.99/mo to get me started and I might just keep it once I get my GPSr running right.

Downside of the phone version is that if I find specific ones I want to go for I can't send them to the phone. That and the phone GPS is iffy. Sometimes I get goo signal and if 'fairly' accurate, other times it drops out after having full signal, takes a while to gain it back. Last weekend it told me GZ was in three different locations. Which is all why I decided to get a dedicated GPSr.

I've been reading a lot about "paperless geocaching" lately and was wondering exactly what it was. Do any current units have this feature?

I heard rumors that the Triton would allow for paperless caching, but all contact I have had with users of it seem to think otherwise. The Garmin Colorado sounds promising in this area though. I'm keeping my eye on it. Paperless caching on a GPS with U.S.A. based support!!

I've been reading a lot about "paperless geocaching" lately and was wondering exactly what it was. Do any current units have this feature?

I heard rumors that the Triton would allow for paperless caching, but all contact I have had with users of it seem to think otherwise. The Garmin Colorado sounds promising in this area though. I'm keeping my eye on it. Paperless caching on a GPS with U.S.A. based support!!

It doesn't look like any of the units will offer what a PDA and a GPS will. The Triton 1500 or 2000 may as it has a touch screen, but they are not the units I have and therefore can't comment on them. The Colorado may offer a total display of info (we'll have to wait and see), but without a touch screen, I don't see it having the ability to input info (or at least not anywhere as easily) as a PDA. Without inputing info, you can't log your visit while you are out and about without a notepad. A PDA and cachemate will allow you to do this, and then to download your log to the caches you've visited online (doesn't work if you also log a personal geocoin for your travels). Some of the new units might get us closer to the idea of complete paperless caching, but it doesn't look like it will be a perfect solution at least for now.

But to answer the OP:

Paperless caching means that you don't need to print out any of the online info for caches that you want to find. A PDA along with a program like Cachemate will allow you to bring along the cache description, 5 past logs, the hint (and decode it), and all the other info about a cache that you might need. It will not give you maps. It will also allow you to log your visit like I stated above.

If you have a GPS unit you are content with currently, just look for an inexpensive PDA on Ebay or Craigslist. It doesn't have to be anything special and will get you started. I think most people are spending around $30-$50 for a used one.

I've tested loading GC info to it, and the Triton will give you paperless caching. You'll get the name, rating, type, description, hint, etc. But you won't get the real time access to find out what's in your area like the phone version does, you have to plan ahead and download them from the site to the GPS. The phone also allows you to log you find right then and there and sync with gc.com later.