H series antenna...

I just noticed that the Etrex H series units no longer display the little circular globe insignia on the top front of the GPS. This circle was always described as being where the (patch) antenna was located and the unit was to be held with this insignia facing up. Does the absence of the globe symbol mean that the antenna is no longer there? I've also heard that the new H series don't need to be pointing face up to receive a good signal... does that mean that Garmin has put a different antenna in the H series as well as a new receiver or is it just that the receiver is better and it holds the signal regardless of how you hold the unit? I've always liked the Etrex series but they didn't work well on a belt clip because the GPS was facing the wrong way, so I've been using the 60 series for the past few years. If this has been fixed I'd like to know. Does anybody have any concrete info regarding this change? Speculation is OK too but I'd really like to know why the globe was dropped and is it significant?

it's not that anything has been 'fixed' it's just that the H series use a vastly superior Media Tek chipset which is as good as the SirfstarIII.

The reason for removing the world map is to distinguish the H from non H. Yes it is true that the new H series can be held in any orientation without any noticeable effect.