Just bought an explorist 500le, and I don't think I like it

funiverse

I just bought an explorist 500le, and I don't think it's going to do what I need it to. It was on sale for $150, so I snapped it up. When I got it home, however, I realized that the only way to manually put POI's in it is to download the coordinates through the GCing software, which I can't get to work once they're on the 500. I only wanted a few things in a gps: color screen, manual coordinate entry, expandability, and maybe some geocaching organization feature. Does anyone have this machine and could give me some help? Or should I take it back and spend a little extra on one that will do what I need it to? Please help.

I just bought an explorist 500le, and I don't think it's going to do what I need it to. It was on sale for $150, so I snapped it up. When I got it home, however, I realized that the only way to manually put POI's in it is to download the coordinates through the GCing software, which I can't get to work once they're on the 500. I only wanted a few things in a gps: color screen, manual coordinate entry, expandability, and maybe some geocaching organization feature. Does anyone have this machine and could give me some help? Or should I take it back and spend a little extra on one that will do what I need it to? Please help.

I have one of these and like it alot. To input coordinates manually press the mark key on the GPS. You can change the numbers and save it where you want it and by the name you give it. Hope this helps.

I've got the 600 (very similar to your 500le), and I think it's a great unit for geocaching. You've got everything on your list: "color screen, manual coordinate entry, expandability, and maybe some geocaching organization feature," this unit should do what you need it to.

What software are you using to transfer coordinates? With some more information about what you are trying to do there are many helpful cachers who would be happy to answer questions and help you get going.

The first guy awnsered my question about the manual coordinate entry, wich immeadiately upgraded it's status from useless to useful. I am having trouble with the geo software that came with it though. Whenever I transfer coordinates from the program to my gps, it goes in under the POI file, but it won't let me use it as a POI. I noticed that all of my other POI's are marked with a crosshare symbol, and the files created with the program are marked with a page symbol. I'm sure this is relevant, but I am very unfamiliar with the machine and have no idea how to remedy the problem.

"What software are you using to transfer coordinates?" I am using the magellan software that came with the gps, and my computer is equiped with XP. Maybe it's a file type issue?

Yes, it's the geocache manager. What I do is enter the coordinates and other applicable info in the add new cache popup. Once it's added, I download it to the gps and it puts it in the default POI file. Once it's there though, I can't really use it. If I select it for anything, it just goes to the top of the screen as though it's been selected, and thats it. I made my own POI manually, and when I select it under goto, it shows it on the map and does everything it's supposed to. Not so with the downloaded files from the cache manager. Does that help?

You got what you paid for. It is a functional unit, and it has some capability. But as for the rest you have to tolerate an awful lot of inconvenience with this unit. Problems with computer recognition of the unit are enough to make you scream. There is probably a very good reason why they have discontinued the line. If they hope to remain competitive in the handheld market their new line had better eliminate all the download and communication problems.

I wish I could find out how to get the computer to recognize the unit through the USB port, I continually have to remove the card and have downloads made through the card reader.

PS the charger unit is of poor quality. The cables had to be replaced.

I'm using the Explorist 500LE and it works great for me. I used Geocache Manager for the first few caches I did but I switched to GSAK very soon after that. It's so much easier to get a Pocket Query with X number of caches and put it into GSAK and then right from GSAK into the GPS. Then add an inexpensive Palm with Cachemate on it to go paperless and you are flying. IMO

For your problems with Geocache Manager, are you seeing the caches you've loaded when you press Goto?

You may need to make the .gs file active in the unit.

For this it's Menu>Preferences>Active Setup>Geocaches>Select File The is should ask you Make file Active? Hit Yes. It should bring you back to the Active Setup page. From there you can escape back to the Map Screen and you should see the caches you've loaded. As well they should show up when you do Goto>Geocache Pts.

The other thing you should watch out for is if you are loading the caches to the Internal memory or an SD card. To choose where the unit is looking for the .gs file, when you do the Active Setup step, you may need to choose the Up One Level option twice I think. This should give you the option of Internal Memory or SD Card. Pick the one you loaded your files to.

I hope some of this makes sense and helps with what you are trying to do. Don't give up on your Explorist. You may need to play around with it a bit but once you do, it should give you lots of enjoyment.

Cheers! :unsure:

Yes, it's the geocache manager. What I do is enter the coordinates and other applicable info in the add new cache popup. Once it's added, I download it to the gps and it puts it in the default POI file. Once it's there though, I can't really use it. If I select it for anything, it just goes to the top of the screen as though it's been selected, and thats it. I made my own POI manually, and when I select it under goto, it shows it on the map and does everything it's supposed to. Not so with the downloaded files from the cache manager. Does that help?

For geocaching you can build pocket queries at geocaching.com and from there the gpx file is sent to you via email. This available to anyone as a paying member. Once the file is received I drag it in to the geocache manager software where I can view all the data. From there I just use the transfer to GPS button. Once the files are sent to the GPS you can go in to the active set up of the gps, scroll down to geocaches and then select the file of your choice. Once that is done the caches of the file you chose will be viewable on the map. On a side note, I have only had a problem with the gps and computer recognizing eachother a couple of times. Each time it was the cable position or the cable was bad. I hope this helps.

I wish I could find out how to get the computer to recognize the unit through the USB port, I continually have to remove the card and have downloads made through the card reader.

I had this problem too in the beginning. I was using a USB port on my keyboard. I think that was the problem. I then plugged into it's own USB port right on the PC and haven't had a problem since.

It was mentioned that paying members can download gpx files (which have a lot of data including hints, container type, and difficulty), even as a non-paying member you can download loc files from gc.com that will save you the manual typing. Look for the download link on searches or the geocache page itself and import the loc file into Geocache Manager.

I endorse the use of GSAK, too. But I'd recommend you sort things out with Geocache Manager first so you understand the data flow. Geocache Manager is rather limited, but it's simple and effective at what it does. GSAK has much more capability, but it can be overwhelming in its complexity when you're getting your feet wet.

I love my eXplorist 500 LE. I use mine with my Mac, but the workflow is universal:

1.) Download geocache coords (via PQ or actual downloading)

2.) Convert the .gpx or .loc file(s) to .upt (for Point of Interest use) or .gs (for Geocache mode use)

3.) Upload the .upt or .gs file(s) to your unit.

That the basic 3 step process. Now, how you go about it is where it gets fun. And by fun I mean potentially annoying/complicated. That's why I made a website http://chimbisimo.googlepages.com .

You'll need software to do steps 2 and 3. Magellan's software should be able to do this for you, but once you get the hang of things, you'll probably want to branch out. There are many options out there, some of them free. I used GPSBabel for a long time (it's free), until I found GeoJournal http://www.geojournal.net , but GeoJournal is Mac only.

I suggest you disregard the geocaching mode. Sure, the icons are the same as they are on Geocaching.com, but I much prefer to use the POI mode instead. I list the reasons in my website.

As for the PC connection problems, make sure you have the Communications setting set to "File Transfer". (Menu --> Advanced Features --> Communications) When you're done transferring, change it back to "Power Only". I've seen so many posts and online reviews that trashed Magellan's units and software, from people who obviously didn't bother to read the manuals. If they had, they wouldn't have had problems (unless maybe they're using Vista).

Edited by geowizerd