Pocket Query help

Papamouse

Basically I have several PQ Set up to try and get full coverage of the Las Vegas Valley. I have each one set up for 15 mile radius. When I recieve the PQs in the mail I have between 70 and 100. When I preview the PQ it says there are 500 records, on 25 pages. But when I look at each of the pages there are only about 3, 4, or 5 records per page.

Now I went the next step and actually pulled the PQ up in Google maps, and it pulls up the area nicely, however it shows multiple numbers on each individual listing. so Eastern Island is showing up on 98 - 105. I am not sure if this is an error on my side, or if I have my queries set up poorly.

Now I am showing around 1500 in the las vegas valley but short of making 15 + Queries, I am not quite sure how to get all the ones in my valley. any help would be appreciated.

thank you

Papamouse

If you want to get good coverage of the entire area, set up several PQs by "Date Placed." For my cache-rich area in San Diego County, it takes seven to cover a 50-mile radius I might want to cache in.

I start the first one out with caches placed between May of 2000 up to May of 2004. The next one covers 07/31/04 to 02/15/06. The next one covers and even shorter length of time. Each PQ contains around 480 caches, some more, some less.

It takes a while to set them up, but once they are done, you can cover the area adequately and keep you database up-to-date.

This is how I have one section of my PQs set up, if that helps.

2e19e8d7-5e21-4326-8cef-6327c29f2302.jpg

I now also check the box so cache on my Ignore list do not get included.

Tried doing a similar way to your suggestion and it is still maxing out at between 70 and 120 or so. Went through and set up 5 more queries, and still only ending up with 534 results. Not sure if I am doing something else wrong in the setup of a PQ, but when I look at the PQ in the Google map, it is still giving several of the Caches multiple numbers.

Papamouse

Are you selecting any Attributes to be included or excluded from your PQ results? If so, that could be part of the problem.

I'm sorry I can't help you with the Google Maps. I never use them 'cause it takes too long for them to load with the slow, dialup connection I have.

Basically I have several PQ Set up to try and get full coverage of the Las Vegas Valley. I have each one set up for 15 mile radius. When I recieve the PQs in the mail I have between 70 and 100. When I preview the PQ it says there are 500 records, on 25 pages. But when I look at each of the pages there are only about 3, 4, or 5 records per page.

Now I went the next step and actually pulled the PQ up in Google maps, and it pulls up the area nicely, however it shows multiple numbers on each individual listing. so Eastern Island is showing up on 98 - 105. I am not sure if this is an error on my side, or if I have my queries set up poorly.

Now I am showing around 1500 in the las vegas valley but short of making 15 + Queries, I am not quite sure how to get all the ones in my valley. any help would be appreciated.

thank you

Papamouse

It sounds like your PQs are overlapping. I would do what Miragee said. Make a PQ centered where you want it and set the date range for <2003. Make sure you don't have a day of the week set and then submit it. Then preview it to see how many results you get. Adjust the date until you get 500. Then use that date as the lower date for the next PQ, and repeat the reviewing processto determine the upper date that will give you 500 caches for the next date range. You should be able to make 3 PQs to get all 1500 caches using this technique. Once you have them created then go back and check the day of the week you want them and hit submit.

Edit: I wish there was a feature that let you select 1500 caches and it would send you 3 PQs of 500. I bet this would reduce the number of PQs being pulled because people are guessing.

Edited by TrailGators

Are you selecting any Attributes to be included or excluded from your PQ results? If so, that could be part of the problem.

I'm sorry I can't help you with the Google Maps. I never use them 'cause it takes too long for them to load with the slow, dialup connection I have.

So I ran a little test, and in this test I ran three different queries.

Date 7.6 - 7.12

Date 7.1 - 7.12

Date 7.1 - 7.6

In the first 2 queries I recieved bad 94 on each preview. I counted them.

in the 3rd query I got 107 in the preview. now if I have each of them set to return up to 500 queries, and have them each copied so they have the same attributes, why would they differ so much? the first one is basically June 30 07 to jan 31 07. Second one is Jan 1 07 to Dec 31 07. and the third query is Jan 1 07 to june 30 07...

So if my math is correct I should be showing for the full year around 211. since I have it set for 500 this should be well in the range. when I click the preview it is showing me there are 500 results, and when I count them there are far less.

just so you know how I do my queries, since I dont know how to show you the cool picture you showed me, I will type it out.

Run this query every week on the day checked.

Of

Any type

Any Container

I havent found

I dont own

Is active

Terrain is greater than or equal to 1

Difficulty is greater than or equal to 1

State Nevada

Postal code 89118 (Center of Las Vegas, but I have tried this one as a Central Waypoint as well.)

Radius 40 miles (though I have had this at as little as 15 and high as 100)

Placed During Between Jan 1 07 and Dec. 31 07

Attributes to include All of them

Attributes to exclude None of them

Output to This recipients email account

In Zip format

Hope this sheds some light on my situation, cause I am confused as heck.

Papamouse

Boy, I don't know, but then I've never been good at puzzles . . . :anibad:

I bet the Las Vegas area is similar to the San Diego area as far as cache density goes. Here are the dates I used for the "Date Placed" caches for a 50-mile radius in my search area:

01_ 05/01/2000 - 07/31/04

02_ 07/31/04 - 02/15/06

03_ 02/15/06 - 09/25/06

04_ 09/25/06 - 02/25/07

05_ 02/25/07 - 07/15/07

06_ 07/15/07 - 11/05/07

07_ 11/05/07 - 02/28/08

I typed in the coordinates for the location I used as my "centerpoint," as opposed to using a Zip Code or GC code or Home Coordinates.

Until a number of caches were recently Archived, each of these, except the last one, returned around 480 caches, to allow for a little "slop" in case Disabled caches were re-enabled. Someday, I have to go back and readjust my dates to be more efficient . . .

...just so you know how I do my queries, since I dont know how to show you the cool picture you showed me, I will type it out.

Of

Any type

Any Container

I havent found

I dont own

Is active

State Nevada

Postal code 89118 (Center of Las Vegas, but I have tried this one as a Central Waypoint as well.)

In Zip format

Papamouse

Try keeping your center point (the zipcode) but leaving the within state field blank.

Date 7.6 - 7.12

Date 7.1 - 7.12

Date 7.1 - 7.6

in the 3rd query I got 107 in the preview. now if I have each of them set to return up to 500 queries, and have them each copied so they have the same attributes, why would they differ so much? the first one is basically June 30 07 to jan 31 07. Second one is Jan 1 07 to Dec 31 07. and the third query is Jan 1 07 to june 30 07...

So if my math is correct I should be showing for the full year around 211. since I have it set for 500 this should be well in the range. when I click the preview it is showing me there are 500 results, and when I count them there are far less.

just so you know how I do my queries, since I dont know how to show you the cool picture you showed me, I will type it out.

Of

Any type

Any Container

I havent found

I dont own

Is active

State Nevada

In Zip format

Papamouse

When I run the same PQ and view it in Google Maps I get 500 caches and they are all in Nevada. The results are shown below. When I moved the start date from January 1 to May 1st, I got 480.

0d5ab419-8950-4432-bf85-c899cab98c22.jpg

Edited by TrailGators

Here are the results I got for Vegas (out to 100 miles):

PQ1: May 1st, 2007 to Dec 30, 2007 = 480

PQ2: Oct 1st, 2006 to Apr 30, 2007 = 497

PQ3: Feb 1st, 2006 to Sept 30, 2006 = 492

PQ4: Dec 1st, 2004 to Jan 30, 2006 = 492

PQ5: Nov 1st, 2002 to Nov 30, 2004 = 468

PQ6: Jan 1st, 2000 to Oct 30, 2002 = 155

So there are 2584 caches within 100 miles of the center of Vegas.

Edited by TrailGators

Date 7.6 - 7.12

Date 7.1 - 7.12

Date 7.1 - 7.6

Of

Any type

Any Container

I havent found

I dont own

Is active

State Nevada

In Zip format

Papamouse

When I run the same PQ and view it in Google Maps I get 500 caches and they are all in Nevada. The results are shown below. When I moved the start date from January 1 to May 1st, I got 480.

I wish I could figure how to get a picture here because I would show you a screenshot of what the Google looks like... I am getting the same listing over and over like 8 or 10 times... I am bugged somehow or someway and I am not sure how to reset it. kinda flaky I do apprecieate all the help. just wish I could figure this out.

Papamouse

Date 7.6 - 7.12

Date 7.1 - 7.12

Date 7.1 - 7.6

Of

Any type

Any Container

I havent found

I dont own

Is active

State Nevada

In Zip format

Papamouse

I wish I could figure how to get a picture here because I would show you a screenshot of what the Google looks like... I am getting the same listing over and over like 8 or 10 times... I am bugged somehow or someway and I am not sure how to reset it. kinda flaky I do apprecieate all the help. just wish I could figure this out.

Papamouse

You can get that view by going to the main PQ page and clicking on the Google Map icon next to a PQ. I would unclick everything and try it. Then start clicking on things to reduce it. Make sure you enter "500" caches too!

Date 7.6 - 7.12

Date 7.1 - 7.12

Date 7.1 - 7.6

Of

Any type

Any Container

I havent found

I dont own

Is active

State Nevada

In Zip format

Papamouse

Papamouse

You can get that view by going to the main PQ page and clicking on the Google Map icon next to a PQ. I would unclick everything and try it. Then start clicking on things to reduce it. Make sure you enter "500" caches too!

I mean I have the picture saved... just dont know how to display it like yours is. thats all.

Papamouse

I mean I have the picture saved... just dont know how to display it like yours is. thats all. Papamouse

1) Upload it here: http://www.geocaching.com/my/upload.aspx

2) After it uploads click on the picture so all you can see is the picture

3) Copy that url

4) Start a new post and click on the little add image option and paste the pictire's url and hit enter.

Edited by TrailGators
I mean I have the picture saved... just dont know how to display it like yours is. thats all. Papamouse

3) Copy that url

4) Start a new post and click on the little add image option and paste the pictire's url and hit enter.

Ok here is the Google map image I am getting. This is on another computer than my main one (Vista 64bit machine)

0c697bee-35f3-4e35-8d99-a78d8c141597.jpg

hope this works.

Papamouse

3) Copy that url

Ok here is the Google map image I am getting. This is on another computer than my main one (Vista 64bit machine)

hope this works.

Papamouse

It says 500....Do you have an XP PC?

3) Copy that url

hope this works.

Papamouse

It is getting 500. at least all the multiples add up to 500 and take away from gathering the other caches in the area for the listing. the Laptop I am on now is XP.

if you have yahoo messenger I can chat with you. papamouse1970 is my handle there.

Papamouse

3) Copy that url

hope this works.

Papamouse

It is getting 500. at least all the multiples add up to 500 and take away from gathering the other caches in the area for the listing. the Laptop I am on now is XP.

if you have yahoo messenger I can chat with you. papamouse1970 is my handle there.

Papamouse

If there are 500 then try viewing the PQ in Garmin Mapsource.

Thats the problem. there isnt 500. it is showing 500 including all the doubles, triples and many more dupes. I have tried useing most of the GPX Editors and readers out there and they are all only showing the 70 to 120 results as well. Personally I think the account is bugged somehow because I have tried this on multiple machines, multiple platforms, and am still having the issue. If we cant figure it out here I am gonna take it this weekend to the Gathering at Sunset park that may have a few of the members there and have them take a look at it on my laptop. the only thing I havent done yet is had someone else log on to my computer, or use my account on someone elses computer that we know is working to make sure it isnt something wacked out with my PCs. but on mutiple machines I find that very hard to believe.

BTW I have now deleted all my PQs that I had and am rebuilding new ones. but alas the problem still exists.

Papamouse

Edited by Papamouse

Of

Any type

Any Container

I havent found

I dont own

Is active

State Nevada

In Zip format

It's the attributes that is causing the problem. Don't select any of the attributes to include. If you select all of them, you WILL NOT get any caches returned where the owner didn't select any attributes.

Thats the problem. there isnt 500. it is showing 500 including all the doubles, triples and many more dupes. I have tried useing most of the GPX Editors and readers out there and they are all only showing the 70 to 120 results as well. Personally I think the account is bugged somehow because I have tried this on multiple machines, multiple platforms, and am still having the issue. If we cant figure it out here I am gonna take it this weekend to the Gathering at Sunset park that may have a few of the members there and have them take a look at it on my laptop. the only thing I havent done yet is had someone else log on to my computer, or use my account on someone elses computer that we know is working to make sure it isnt something wacked out with my PCs. but on mutiple machines I find that very hard to believe.

BTW I have now deleted all my PQs that I had and am rebuilding new ones. but alas the problem still exists.

Papamouse

I would email Groundspeak about it. I'm sure they could help!

I've just looked at it a bit more, and I am sure that it is the attributes that is causing the "problem."

If you select all the attributes to include, then a cache with 4 attributes will show up in your PQ 4 times. Again, make sure that you have none of the attributes selected. All the attributes have 3 states, so make sure you leave it in the greyed out (not chosen) state.

I've just looked at it a bit more, and I am sure that it is the attributes that is causing the "problem."

If you select all the attributes to include, then a cache with 4 attributes will show up in your PQ 4 times. Again, make sure that you have none of the attributes selected. All the attributes have 3 states, so make sure you leave it in the greyed out (not chosen) state.

So he is only getting caches that have attributes....Good observation! I never check any boxes in that section. :blink:

Of

Any type

Any Container

I havent found

I dont own

Is active

State Nevada

In Zip format

It's the attributes that is causing the problem. Don't select any of the attributes to include. If you select all of them, you WILL NOT get any caches returned where the owner didn't select any attributes.

Wow.... well I will be danged..... It worked. That really should be explained a little better. I clicked them because I thought I needed to click the Attributes I wanted it to look for.

Thanks all for the help and now I can get a better view of Vegas...

Thanks again

Papamouse

Edited by Papamouse

Glad it worked, papamouse. I find looking for caches based on attributes of very limited value, so better just to leave them unchecked. Cache owners often don't use them at all, and we are limited to using a handful when creating a cache. Plus, the use is very subjective. I've seen a few landlocked caches that have the scuba gear attribute.