I want a Triton, but...

ItsGForMe

I was in REI yesterday playing with a Triton. The touchscreen was neat to use. I love the idea of the camera...And having a little LED flashlight seems nice. The size of the screen was good and the unit got a lock inside the building where the Garmin next to it could not.

So before buying, I decided to read feedback here...Boy, what a mixed bag. Issues with the cable (!), issues with support, issues with...Sheesh. :back: What to do?

Does anyone have a Triton up and working? How good is the paperless support?

Thanks!

(I'm dying to get my hands on a new toy)

:back:

I am hoping to get a 400 when they reach local stores in my area.

The thing with the cords...it was a mistake, yes it was irritating to lots of customers, but it is being fixed and any Triton you buy in a brick-n-mortar store can easily be checked for a cord before you buy it. :-)

I don't know much about the unit myself as I don't own one yet, but a general rule of thumb I've learned with other forums is that while you should listen to the complaints, and consider the information, don't let it totally convince you NOT to do something. Basically in business, for every one irate dissatisfied customer, there are 50 more perfectly happy satisfied ones. You just hear the horror stories more becuase its human nature for 'bad news to travel faster" than good.

A good example..... Last time you went to a mechanic for your oil change, did you like the service? If so, did you race out and post about it, tell your friends about it, blog about it, and how wonderful of an oil change it was? probably not...because you expected good service and so you didn't find it out of the ordinary that you got it. But if your oil change took 3 hours, you discovered the mechanic stole your change from your ashtray, his honky-tonk music disgusted you and he farted on your seats and the smell won't come out.....you would ABSOLUTELY complain, loud and long to the manager, your friends, and everyone you know and warn them to NEVER go to that mechanic. However, the very next customer might have gotten the nice smelling, polite, efficient employee instead of Billy Bob. Basically, the horror stories on here about Magellans are probably very real, but you don't hear all the good result stories to be able to counterbalance the bad.

I was in REI yesterday playing with a Triton. The touchscreen was neat to use. I love the idea of the camera...And having a little LED flashlight seems nice. The size of the screen was good and the unit got a lock inside the building where the Garmin next to it could not.

So before buying, I decided to read feedback here...Boy, what a mixed bag. Issues with the cable (!), issues with support, issues with...Sheesh. :( What to do?

Does anyone have a Triton up and working? How good is the paperless support?

Thanks!

(I'm dying to get my hands on a new toy)

:rolleyes:

I just got my Triton 2000 about 3 days ago and I love it. A lot of people have their Triton for a couple days and give up on it because there is a lot to learn and figure out how to use. I am becoming very comfortable with the unit now and LOVE it! The only complaint I have is that the manual is not the greatest. It tells you HOW to do things but doesn't tell you WHY you would want to do it. For example it will tell you how to change a setting but doesn't tell you what that setting actually does. The unit also sucks up batteries but I am using Energizer rechargeables now so that shouldn't be a problem. The unit will also not allow you to take any pics or save audio without having the optional SD card.