New guy needs GPS advice...(thats a new one Im sure)

Lodogg2221

I need a handheld GPS, and have been searching this forum for some time...which has also given me some time to formulate questions.

I just saw the $300 GPS thread, and am following that with some interest.

I have zero experience using handheld GPS.

Heres what I want to do with it:

Car/Motorcycle Nav...not nesecarily autorouting, but that would be nice. More getting un-lost after I get lost.

Hiking and biking, I do a lot of biking, and some hiking, though with a GPS I may do more.

Geocaching, not really done it before, but sounds like fun, and Im sure Ill like it since I like outdoor activities.

Im sure Ill find other uses for it after I get it...I seem to with everything I buy...

I have $300 to spend (same as the other guy). But if I HAVE to I can buy maps on top of that later...I am more interested in getting the best GPS for the money.

Models Ive looked at, well a lot really, these are some Ive narrowed it down to:

(We have no good stores around that actually stock most of these, so all would most likely be mail order), I did get a chance to look at them in person though (except the Triton) and prefer the larger size of the 60.

Garmin Vista HCx - I like the features, but I have big hands, and it seems kind of small to me

Also seems to be in the $225-$250ish range...$227 at wally world. Concerned about the slow speed problems, as I dont like to run to have it register movement...

Garmin 60 CSx - I like the larger (marginally) display, since it would be easier (marginally) to read on my motorcycle, and the button layout (I have no use to compare it to, but it LOOKS good) More money, I found it refurb for $299. Also, its less than that with the $50 rebate on it new, but its over 12/31 so I need to order it soon if I go that route. Reviews say it registers slow speeds with no trouble, may be worth the extra money to me just for that. I believe someone called it the current Cadillac of handheld GPS recievers.

Magellan 500LE - I can get a pretty good deal (maybe not?) $150 at wally world. And despite the bad customer service, they seem to be pretty good. Cant find much else bad, but I dont like AAA batteries, AAs are fine (Just a preference thing). Dont like the small buttons.

Magellan Triton 500 - Previews seem pretty good, but again, there have been issues, and no one has actually reviewed it yet that I saw, or compared it to anything else. I do like Magellans 3-axis compass though...does that matter if you are moving?

Also, not sure about maps, cost and such I mean. Who is the best in that regard? I really dont care much about the Nat Geo Topo maps...the others look good enough for me.

I would appreciate any pros and cons of the units I mentioned.

Also, any comparitive info would be nice, like if you have two listed and prefer one, why do you?

Any not mentioned would be appreciated, with reasons for selection.

One last thing, thanks for any and all responses!

Edited by Lodogg2221

Welcome to the Forums! :rolleyes:

I have the Vista HCx and prefer the small size for hiking. Most of the people I cache with have the 60CSx and they really like that model.

I got my Vista HCx for about $220. Then I had to purchase the data card. I already had the maps from my previous, trusty Vista C, which I still have to use for backup, should I even need it.

Because of the Customer Service nightmares, and experiences friends of mine have had with their Magellan GPS units, I would stay away from Magellan.

Thanks!

I am leaning toward the Vista HCx becuse of price, and service, and because if I really like this geocaching stuff and want to upgrade to a newer GPS, like the Colorado I saw being released this Spring, I wont feel like I spent too much to do that in a year or so! I just hate to buy anything just to find if I had waited a month or so I could have gotten something much better for a bit more money...

I just wish I could see one in action, so I could see how big things on the display are...maybe next weekend Ill go down to Indianapolis and check them out at Gander Mountain or Dicks or some such place.

The Vista HCx is an excellent model (I have one too) but it's base maps will not help you out of a jam if your life depended on it. Your initial post implies you want workable maps now. What you could do is engage tracks when you go into unfamiliar territory. Tracks leave a visible trail on your mapscreen so you can backtrack in case you get lost. You can save them or reset your GPS every so often 'cause they only hold 10000 points, then it stops recording or you can start recording over the old points. The Legend HCx, for about $20-30 less, is also a capable auto-routing GPS.

However, you're right to be concerned about the relative small size of the Etrex units. I find it relatively hard to manipulate on my bike. I can only imagine it will be more difficult on a motorcyle, especially with gloves on. I have a 60CS, precursor to the 60CSx, and would prefer it any day over an Etrex on my motorcycle - if I had one. The button layout alone is ideal for bikes - just use your thumb for all operations. Can't do that on the Etrex' as they have buttons on the front and both sides.

As you already now, they're a bit more pricey, averaging $345. For that amout you may want to take a look at the Quest I which comes preloaded with maps. This one for $229. almost looks too good to be true. I think Garmin is phasing them out. I have purchased maps and GPS's from offroute.com and Amazon with favorable results. Ebay is not bad for maps as long as they guarantee the product is new and the unlocks codes unused.

Yes, the Quests can be used for both hiking and as a dash model. Several cachers have pointed this out on other threads.

Edit: Garmin webpage here. Here for manual.

Big downside, for me, is the Quest does not accept external data cards, therefore it does not support customized POIs. The Quest II does but adds another $150 or so.

Take a look at the new Magellan Crossover. From what I've read on other threads, it's a more modern and more affordable Quest on the Magellan brand (comaparing retail prices not sales.)

Edited by Chuy!