"Download Geocache Browser in Google Earth" doesn't work

Beaverbeliever

It's supposed to be off.

http://www.geocaching.com/about/google.aspx

Please note that the coordinates used in Google Earth are only an approximation and can be up to 100 ft from the actual location. Do not use the coordinates in Google Earth for cache hunting. It is merely a viewing tool for getting a general idea of the cache location.

Thanks for directing me to that page. Why can't they just make the coords exact though? It just seems like they are PURPOSELY making it not work. Is it too much for the Groundspeak servers to handle?

It just seems like they are PURPOSELY making it not work.
Yes, they are adding a random offset on purpose. Zoom in real close to a cache, then pan the map slightly and wait a few seconds for the Geocache Browser to update. You'll see the cache jump by some random amount.

Is it too much for the Groundspeak servers to handle?
Actually adding the offset is slightly more work. The reason for adding the random offset lies elsewhere.

Thanks for directing me to that page. Why can't they just make the coords exact though? It just seems like they are PURPOSELY making it not work. Is it too much for the Groundspeak servers to handle?

Since you are a Premium Member, you can request a PQ of the area/areas you are interested in. Then, look at .gpx files from those in Google Earth. I'll often do that by Exporting the caches I am interested in in .gpx format from GSAK. Then I can look at the trails and terrain in detail. :rolleyes:

Since you are a Premium Member, you can request a PQ of the area/areas you are interested in. Then, look at .gpx files from those in Google Earth. I'll often do that by Exporting the caches I am interested in in .gpx format from GSAK. Then I can look at the trails and terrain in detail. :D

Ok. Thanks!